Women's Heart Health: Spokane mom suffers heart attack while get - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Women's Heart Health: Spokane mom suffers heart attack while getting son ready for school

Think of the three women closest to you. Maybe it's your sister, your mom and your best friend. Now think that of those three, one will die because of heart disease. It's the gut wrenching reality that many don't want to think about or talk about. KHQ wants to start the conversation about women's heart health, because it very well could impact someone you love very much.

Spokane wife and mother Casey Bantz never thought she'd be the victim of a heart attack. The morning it happened, that possibility couldn't have been further from her mind.

"It was normal day," said Casey Bantz. "I was getting for work. My son was watching cartoons."

All it takes is a second for life as we know it to end.

"It was not something I ever planned for," she said. "I'm thankful every day that my wife had to come home."

Bantz thought she was doing everything right.

"It hit me like a ton of bricks," she said. "I'm 35-years-old, I exercise every day. I'm doing everything they tell you do."

But it wasn't enough.

"I was in so much pain, I don't remember much of the ambulance ride," she said. "But I know, at no point did I think, I'm having a heart attack."

Especially because of her symptoms.

"I started experiencing the worst heartburn you could ever imagine," she said.

Spokane Cardiologist Deirdra Mooney said women are often confused or even blindsided by the signs of trouble.

"They're more likely to have atypical or indigestion or just feeling unwell," she said. "They lose their appetite just have a feeling something is wrong."

The typical symptoms you see in men may never appear in a woman. That's why they can be so deadly. Many women don't think they are having a heart attack, so they may wait longer to seek the help they need.

That's a big reason why Bantz is sharing her story, to raise awareness.

"You don't have to meet the typical guidelines of what a heart attack victim looks like, it looks like every person walking around," she said.

Heart attacks and strokes kill one woman every 80 seconds.

"You don't have to be 60 plus to have these kinds of symptoms," Bantz said. "I feel so thankful to be alive."

So what can you do to decrease your chances of being a victim? Get out there are exercise, stop smoking, and eat heart healthy foods.

"Super foods are really beneficial to our health," said Registered Dietitian, Korrin Fotheringham. "They have an incredible amount of nutrients for how much you have to eat."

Some of the best foods you can add to your cart are sprouts, nuts, berries and kale.

"They have extra vitamins and minerals that are really beneficial for our overall health," she said.

Spokane woman finds baby left in freezing car

Thursday, February 22 2018 8:33 PM EST2018-02-23 01:33:43 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Picture this, a baby freezing, bawling, and alone in the back seat of a car. That's what one Spokane woman stumbled upon in a South Hill parking lot. "Complete shock," Windy Delandro said. A frightening sight, Delandro says she saw what looked like a six-month old sitting in her car seat, car turned off, tears streaming down the little girls cheeks. "I looked around to see if I could find anybody, see something, I told my mom

Ohio student arrested for viral Facebook “SHS” threat

Thursday, February 22 2018 11:32 PM EST2018-02-23 04:32:55 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Many of you have reached out to KHQ, concerned after you saw a Facebook post that went viral on Wednesday, causing concern across the nation. The post was made under the Facebook profile “Ray Andres.” The person behind the post threatened to bring a gun to school and referred to the school as “SHS.” According to WHIO News, the FBI and Clark County Deputies were able to pinpoint the location of where the social

Fatal apartment fire at Hartson and Perry on Spokane's lower south hill

Friday, February 23 2018 8:46 AM EST2018-02-23 13:46:40 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- One person is dead in a fatal fire at the Liberty Park Terrace Apartments on the lower South Hill. The fire was confined to one apartment. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. The building was evacuated but everyone has returned back inside. No roads blocked at this time. BREAKING: Fatal Apartment Fire at Hartson and Perry>>

President Trump opens up and jokes about his bald spot: "I try like hell to hide it"

Friday, February 23 2018 12:25 PM EST2018-02-23 17:25:32 GMT

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump says he goes to great lengths to hide the bald spot revealed in a recent photo.   Speaking before the Conservative Political Action Conference Friday, Trump turned around onstage and smoothed the back of his famous hair.   He said, "I try like hell to hide that bald spot, folks." The crowd cheered as Trump glanced at a monitor and added, "Doesn't look bad. Hey, we're hanging in."

Florida Governor announces plan to raise age to purchase firearms and place law enforcement in every school

Friday, February 23 2018 12:04 PM EST2018-02-23 17:04:05 GMT

KHQ.COM - Florida Governor Rick Scott has made a major announcement about gun control. He just announced that in Florida, the state will require individuals purchasing firearms to be 21-years-old or older. He is also calling for a complete ban of bumpstocks and says there will be mandatory law enforcement at every public school.

Gucci turns heads for severed head replicas of models on runway

Friday, February 23 2018 11:50 AM EST2018-02-23 16:50:27 GMT

KHQ.COM - Gucci is turning heads for severed heads. Yes... you heard that right... severed heads. At the brand's Fall-Winter 2018 show in Milan, the catwalk was transformed into a fashion freak show. Gucci designer Alessandro Michele sent models sashaying down the runway carrying replicas of their own heads. The fashion show was supposed to be edgy and a bit freaky.