Basketball-sized wasp nest removed from Spokane veteran's walls - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Basketball-sized wasp nest removed from Spokane veteran's walls

Two massive wasp's nests have been removed from a local veteran's walls after a "Help Me Hayley" report from January.

"If I had to guess, I'd say he was dealing with between 6,000 to 10,000 wasps between the two nests," said Ray Vanderlouw with Pointe Pest Control. "They were side by side and each was about half the size as this sofa cushion."

The removal comes after months of stress from Robert Storm.

“I’ve met my match here,” he said back in January. “The (yellow jacket) nests are in the wall or the attic space above in the kitchen. I’ve killed about 400 since October. I suffer from PTSD, things like this, it builds anxiety. That is tough to deal with."

Especially because he is deathly allergic to the yellow jackets.

“Every time I come down the steps, I am worried I am going to step on one, he said in January. “I’ve already gotten stung once. I have epi-pens, but I’ve already gone through two full boxes of them.”

Storm keeps his house down to a chilly 55 degrees, and while the buzzing has slowed, he knows it's not for long.

”It is like a ticking time bomb,” he said. “I don't have anywhere else to go. I need a lot of help.”

When Hayley reached out to Pointe Pest Control looking for help for Robert, their staff agreed without hesitation. They said the issue of yellow jackets invading homes in the cold months happens more than many might think.

“Around here, it's way common,” Vanderlouw said.

Storm said he's looking forward to a worry free night of sleep.

If you want Hayley's help, just search Hayley Guenthner KHQ on facebook and send her a message.

Coeur d'Alene Police investigating school shooting threat made on Snapchat

Friday, October 19 2018 1:04 AM EDT2018-10-19 05:04:39 GMT

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Police are investigating a reported school shooting threat at Coeur d'Alene High School. A spokesperson for the district said that the threat was written on a napkin and shared  on Snapchat. It says: "CHS school shooting 10-19-18. Be ready." Police tell us that while they are still investigating whether the threat is credible, they do not believe the CHS that the note mentions is referring to Coeur d'Alene High School.

Explosive device that caused CdA evacuations rendered safe

Friday, October 19 2018 6:51 PM EDT2018-10-19 22:51:23 GMT

Ramsey Elementary and Coeur d' Alene Police station have been evacuated after an explosive device was brought to the station for disposal. Police have called in a bomb squad to dispose of the device and evacuated the buildings as a precaution. Coeur d' Alene School District released the following statement regarding the situation:

K9 Laslo passes away

Friday, October 19 2018 10:50 PM EDT2018-10-20 02:50:33 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - After struggling with medical issues recently, retired Spokane County Sheriff's Office K9 Laslo passed away early Friday morning.  "It is with the most heavy heart that I tell you K9 Laslo passed away this morning at 0115hrs," a post on Laslo's Facebook page said Friday morning. "There will be a piece of my heart always missing. To the best partner I ever had, R.I.P."

Man who fell to his death outside downtown Spokane library identified

Saturday, October 20 2018 2:03 AM EDT2018-10-20 06:03:24 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Medical Examiner's Office has identified the man who died after a fall outside the downtown branch of the Spokane Public Library Wednesday.

In full campaign mode, Trump calls Dems 'too extreme'

Saturday, October 20 2018 1:39 AM EDT2018-10-20 05:39:57 GMT

MESA, Ariz. (AP) - President Donald Trump says Democrats are "too extreme and too dangerous" to take control of Congress.    On a three-day swing out West to make his closing arguments for Republican candidates before the midterm elections, Trump sought to hone in on immigration as one of the defining election issues.

Judge tosses NRA lawsuit over Seattle's gun-storage law

Saturday, October 20 2018 1:29 AM EDT2018-10-20 05:29:05 GMT

SEATTLE (AP) - A judge has dismissed a lawsuit brought by the National Rifle Association against Seattle's new gun-storage law.    The Seattle Times reports King County Superior Court Judge Barbara Linde ruled Friday, tossing the lawsuit on technical grounds after the city contended the plaintiffs lacked standing and noted the law had yet to take effect.