Trump suggesting China will ‘take down’ its trade barriers - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Trump suggesting China will ‘take down’ its trade barriers

Posted: Updated:
WASHINGTON -

Amid rising concerns about a possible trade war between the U.S. and China, President Donald Trump suggested that Beijing will ease “because it is the right thing to do” and that the economic superpowers can settle the disputes that have rattled financial markets, consumers and businesses.

But fostering more uncertainty, two of the president’s top economic advisers offered mixed messages Sunday as to the best approach with China, which has threatened to retaliate if Washington follows through with its proposed tariffs, even as Trump emphasized his bond with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

“President Xi and I will always be friends, no matter what happens with our dispute on trade,” Trump wrote. “China will take down its Trade Barriers because it is the right thing to do. Taxes will become Reciprocal & a deal will be made on Intellectual Property. Great future for both countries!”

But Trump did not explain why, amid a week of economic saber-rattling between the two countries that shook global markets, he felt confident a deal could be made.

The president made fixing the trade imbalance with China a centerpiece of his presidential campaign, where he frequently used incendiary language to describe how Beijing would “rape” the U.S. economically. But even as Trump cozied up to Xi and pressed China for help with derailing North Korea’s nuclear ambitions, he has ratcheted up the economic pressure and threatened tariffs, a move opposed by many fellow Republicans.

The Trump administration has said it is taking action as a crackdown on China’s theft of U.S. intellectual property. The U.S. bought more than $500 billion in goods from China last year and now is planning or considering penalties on some $150 billion of those imports. The U.S. sold about $130 billion in goods to China in 2017 and faces a potentially devastating hit to its market there if China responds in kind.

China has pledged to “counterattack with great strength” if Trump decides to follow through on his latest threat to impose tariffs on an additional $100 billion in Chinese goods — after an earlier announcement that targeted $50 billion. Beijing also declared that the current rhetoric made negotiations impossible, even as the White House suggested that the tariff talk was a way to spur China to the bargaining table.

The new White House economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, said Sunday that a “coalition of the willing” — including Canada, much of Europe and Australia — was being formed to pressure China and that the U.S. would demand that the World Trade Organization, an arbiter of trade disputes, be stricter on Beijing. And he said that though the U.S. hoped to avoid taking action, Trump “was not bluffing.”

“This is a problem caused by China, not a problem caused by President Trump,” Kudlow said on “Fox News Sunday.”

But he also downplayed the tariff threat as “part of the process” and said he was hopeful that China would enter negotiations. Kudlow, who started his job a week ago after his predecessor, Gary Cohn, quit over the tariffs plan, noted that none of the U.S. moves has gone into effect, and he downplayed the possibility of economic repercussions.

“I don’t think there’s any trade war in sight,” Kudlow told Fox.

But another top White House economic adviser, Peter Navarro, took a tougher tack, declaring that China’s behavior was “a wakeup call to Americans.”

“They are in competition with us over economic prosperity and national defense,” Navarro said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” ″Every day of the week China comes into our homes, our business and our government agencies. ... This country is losing its strength even as China has grown its economy.”

Trump’s latest proposal intensified what was already shaping up to be the biggest trade battle in more than a half century.

Trump told advisers last week that he was unhappy with China’s decision to tax $50 billion in American products, including soybeans and small aircraft, in response to a U.S. move to impose tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods. Rather than waiting weeks for the U.S. tariffs to be implemented, Trump backed a plan by Robert Lighthizer, his trade representative, and was encouraged by Navarro to seek the enhanced tariffs.

Further escalation could be in the offing. The U.S. Treasury Department is working on plans to restrict Chinese technology investments in the U.S. And there is talk that the U.S. could also put limits on visas for Chinese who want to visit or study in this country.

For Trump, the dispute runs the risk of blunting the economic benefits of his tax overhaul, which is at the center of congressional Republicans’ case for voters to keep them in power in the 2018 elections. China’s retaliation so far has targeted Midwest farmers, many of whom were bedrock Trump supporters.

___

Associated Press writers Hope Yen and Thomas Strong contributed to this report.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Detectives identify woman found in Spokane River

    Detectives identify woman found in Spokane River

    Thursday, September 20 2018 8:35 PM EDT2018-09-21 00:35:31 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Update: Detectives have identified the woman found in the Spokane River September 15 just hours after releasing a rending of what she may have looked like. Detectives continue to work to determine what occurred prior to her death.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Update: Detectives have identified the woman found in the Spokane River September 15 just hours after releasing a rending of what she may have looked like. Detectives continue to work to determine what occurred prior to her death.

    >>
  • Psychiatric hospital coming to Spokane

    Psychiatric hospital coming to Spokane

    Friday, September 21 2018 12:17 PM EDT2018-09-21 16:17:08 GMT
    The three finalists bidding for the Riverfront Park project visited Spokane todayThe three finalists bidding for the Riverfront Park project visited Spokane today

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - A new 100-bed psychiatric hospital is coming to Spokane.    The Inland Northwest Behavioral Health hospital, which opens to patients in October, will have about 200 employees.    The Spokesman-Review says the $33 million facility will be split into four units, each with 25 beds for inpatient services. One unit will be reserved for adolescent patients between the ages of 13 and 17.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - A new 100-bed psychiatric hospital is coming to Spokane.    The Inland Northwest Behavioral Health hospital, which opens to patients in October, will have about 200 employees.    The Spokesman-Review says the $33 million facility will be split into four units, each with 25 beds for inpatient services. One unit will be reserved for adolescent patients between the ages of 13 and 17.

    >>
  • Suge Knight pleads to manslaughter over fatal confrontation

    Suge Knight pleads to manslaughter over fatal confrontation

    Thursday, September 20 2018 5:16 PM EDT2018-09-20 21:16:55 GMT

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight has pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter and after he ran over two men, killing one, nearly four years ago.    The Death Row Records co-founder entered the plea Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and has agreed to serve 28 years in prison.

    >>

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight has pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter and after he ran over two men, killing one, nearly four years ago.    The Death Row Records co-founder entered the plea Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and has agreed to serve 28 years in prison.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Death toll rises to 43 in aftermath of Florence

    Death toll rises to 43 in aftermath of Florence

    Friday, September 21 2018 9:02 PM EDT2018-09-22 01:02:08 GMT

    (AP) - Authorities say the death toll has now risen to 43 dead in the aftermath of former Hurricane Florence. A statement released by North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper's office said Friday evening that there are now 32 confirmed dead in that state. The statement says a 46-year-old man in Brunswick County died when a tree he was cutting feel on him. 

    >>

    (AP) - Authorities say the death toll has now risen to 43 dead in the aftermath of former Hurricane Florence. A statement released by North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper's office said Friday evening that there are now 32 confirmed dead in that state. The statement says a 46-year-old man in Brunswick County died when a tree he was cutting feel on him. 

    >>
  • Lawmaker accused of underage relationship with ex-student

    Lawmaker accused of underage relationship with ex-student

    Friday, September 21 2018 8:54 PM EDT2018-09-22 00:54:00 GMT

    OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - A former Idaho high school student of embattled Washington lawmaker Rep. Matt Manweller says she had a sexual relationship with him in the 1990s, when she was 17 and he was 27. Under Idaho state law at the time, sex between an adult male and a female younger than 18 constituted statutory rape.

    >>

    OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - A former Idaho high school student of embattled Washington lawmaker Rep. Matt Manweller says she had a sexual relationship with him in the 1990s, when she was 17 and he was 27. Under Idaho state law at the time, sex between an adult male and a female younger than 18 constituted statutory rape.

    >>
  • Highway 520 bridge closed due to police activity

    Highway 520 bridge closed due to police activity

    Friday, September 21 2018 8:44 PM EDT2018-09-22 00:44:51 GMT

    SEATTLE (AP) - Authorities say the Highway 520 floating bridge has been closed in both directions between Seattle and the eastern suburbs because of a possibly armed person in a pickup truck who is refusing to exit a vehicle. The Washington State Department of Transportation said on Twitter at about 5 p.m. that the bridge was closed to all traffic because of police activity.    

    >>

    SEATTLE (AP) - Authorities say the Highway 520 floating bridge has been closed in both directions between Seattle and the eastern suburbs because of a possibly armed person in a pickup truck who is refusing to exit a vehicle. The Washington State Department of Transportation said on Twitter at about 5 p.m. that the bridge was closed to all traffic because of police activity.    

    >>