Officers involved reflect on Coeur d'Alene shooting that sent on - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Officers involved reflect on Coeur d'Alene shooting that sent one to the hospital

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -

On a snowy February night, the Inland Northwest held its breath.

“At the time, I didn't really process the scariness of it,” Officer Charles Hatley said.

“It's not something that just goes away,” Officer Taylor Beach said.

What was supposed to be a normal traffic stop.

“There's still lingering affects from it, obviously you get in this job knowing that that's possible,” Hatley said.

“When he stepped out of the back passenger seat, Officer Mongan went to grab his arm to detain him and when Officer Mongan grabbed his arm he began to start struggling with him,” Hatley continued.

Changed in an instant.

“I remember thinking 'aw man we're going to have to fight this guy' and at that time I'm coming around the back of the car and as soon as that thought cleared my mind... I just heard boom and felt a huge pressure in my stomach,” Hatley said.

Coeur d’Alene Police Officer Charles Hatley had just become a father. His daughter was seven-weeks old, Aliyah.

“I remember telling Beach when we were on the backside of the car. I remember telling her about my wife, my kid,” Hatley said, “I just remember telling her this can't happen right now."

Officer Taylor Beach had a decision to make.

“I knew his condition was not good from the things that he was saying and the way that he reacted,” Beach said, “I knew that our medical personnel aren't going to come into a situation where it's not totally secure yet."

Without hesitation, she stuffed Hatley in the back of Coeur d’Alene Police Officer Kelly Mongan’s patrol car.

"I knew that I needed to get him out of there,” Beach said.

“She packed me to the hospital and saved me,” Hatley said.

Days would go by, Hatley’s family was at his bedside.

Until Friday, March 2nd, 2018. That's when Hatley got a hero’s welcome with officers from all over Kootenai County supporting Hatley as he left Kootenai Health.

“That was incredible, it was, I knew a little bit before that when I came out everybody would be there but I never imagined that many people,” Hatley said, “I mean that balcony was all full and it was overwhelming and incredible."

Before this moment, our influences, motivations, decisions shape who we are today.

Growing up in small town Colfax, Washington is where the inspiration started for Hatley.

“Out of high school, I went to Spokane Community College did the criminal justice thing there and then I got hired at the sheriff's department up here,” he said.

Hatley worked four years as a jail deputy with the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office.

When the opportunity came to move up the ranks and make a switch, he joined the Coeur d’Alene Police Department in August 2017.

Officer Taylor Beach, a five-year veteran of the department and an NIC graduate, started with Kootenai County as well before taking the job at the police department.

After the shooting, Beach says she took a month off.

Hatley took a little over two months, spending time with his baby girl and family.

Some may think it’s too quick, but for them, protecting and serving is what keeps them going.

“Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be a cop,” Hatley said.

“Since I was 8 years old, I came from California down there and I went on a tour of the San Jose Police Department,” Beach said, “and ever since then I thought it was the coolest thing ever, I was like 'that's what I want to do’.”

Almost four months have gone by since the shooting, Hattie Avenue is quiet.

Both Hatley and Beach say they’ve processed the memories of that night and use them as a learning tool.

They want their experiences to help new officers.

“From now on I know that I've been through it, we made it through it and how can we further help everybody else that may have to go through it because we have a lot of career left so we're not blind to the fact that it may happen again,” Beach said.

Hatley is in the second phase of officer training while Beach is currently training another new officer.

The key takeaway, both say their training saved their lives that night.

Motorcyclist killed in crash on Sherman Pass

Monday, July 16 2018 1:58 AM EDT2018-07-16 05:58:31 GMT

SHERMAN PASS, Wash.- A 53-year-old man was killed Sunday after a crash involving a motorcycle and transit van. The crash happened on State Route 20, just before 6pm on Sunday, about 14 miles east of Republic.

Firefighter mauled by pit bull at scene of house fire

Sunday, July 15 2018 3:47 PM EDT2018-07-15 19:47:12 GMT

SAN LEANDRO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say a Northern California firefighter was mauled in the face by a pit bull after helping extinguish a house fire.    The East Bay Times reports Alameda County Fire Battalion Chief John Whiting received "extremely severe facial damage" in the attack Saturday in San Leandro.    Division Chief Alan Evans says Whiting required extensive reconstructive surgery.

3 family members killed in southwest Washington crash

Sunday, July 15 2018 5:55 PM EDT2018-07-15 21:55:32 GMT

KALAMA, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say a rollover crash on Interstate 5 in southwest Washington killed a child and two grandparents.    The Daily News reports that the crash happened Saturday afternoon when a northbound sport-utility vehicle struck a median near Kalama. The Washington State Patrol says it was driven by a woman transporting her parents and three children.

New Jersey man, teenage boy indicted in child's shooting death

Monday, July 16 2018 11:23 AM EDT2018-07-16 15:23:54 GMT

A man and a teenager have been indicted on murder charges in a shooting that left a 10-year-old boy dead and his mother wounded.    Monmouth County prosecutors say 18-year-old Karon Council and 16-year-old Jah-Del Birch, both of Neptune Township, also face charges of attempted murder, conspiracy, aggravated assault and weapons offenses in the indictment handed up by a county grand jury. It was made public Monday.

Trump to Putin: The world wants us to get along

Monday, July 16 2018 11:23 AM EDT2018-07-16 15:23:38 GMT

HELSINKI - Britain's prime minister has launched a strong attack on Russia even as President Donald Trump is sitting down with his Russian counterpart at the Helsinki summit. Theresa May told Parliament Monday that Russia's leadership is committed to trying to undermine Western values on a number of fronts.

Pennsylvania mother accused of killing baby with drug-laced breast milk

Monday, July 16 2018 11:05 AM EDT2018-07-16 15:05:53 GMT

Prosecutors say a Pennsylvania mother killed her 11-week-old son with a lethal mix of drugs in her breast milk.    Samantha Jones was charged Friday with criminal homicide in the April 2 death of her baby.    The Bucks County District Attorney's office says an autopsy found the baby died from a combination of methadone, amphetamine and methamphetamine.