Officers involved reflect on Coeur d'Alene shooting that sent on - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Officers involved reflect on Coeur d'Alene shooting that sent one to the hospital

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -

On a snowy February night, the Inland Northwest held its breath.

“At the time, I didn't really process the scariness of it,” Officer Charles Hatley said.

“It's not something that just goes away,” Officer Taylor Beach said.

What was supposed to be a normal traffic stop.

“There's still lingering affects from it, obviously you get in this job knowing that that's possible,” Hatley said.

“When he stepped out of the back passenger seat, Officer Mongan went to grab his arm to detain him and when Officer Mongan grabbed his arm he began to start struggling with him,” Hatley continued.

Changed in an instant.

“I remember thinking 'aw man we're going to have to fight this guy' and at that time I'm coming around the back of the car and as soon as that thought cleared my mind... I just heard boom and felt a huge pressure in my stomach,” Hatley said.

Coeur d’Alene Police Officer Charles Hatley had just become a father. His daughter was seven-weeks old, Aliyah.

“I remember telling Beach when we were on the backside of the car. I remember telling her about my wife, my kid,” Hatley said, “I just remember telling her this can't happen right now."

Officer Taylor Beach had a decision to make.

“I knew his condition was not good from the things that he was saying and the way that he reacted,” Beach said, “I knew that our medical personnel aren't going to come into a situation where it's not totally secure yet."

Without hesitation, she stuffed Hatley in the back of Coeur d’Alene Police Officer Kelly Mongan’s patrol car.

"I knew that I needed to get him out of there,” Beach said.

“She packed me to the hospital and saved me,” Hatley said.

Days would go by, Hatley’s family was at his bedside.

Until Friday, March 2nd, 2018. That's when Hatley got a hero’s welcome with officers from all over Kootenai County supporting Hatley as he left Kootenai Health.

“That was incredible, it was, I knew a little bit before that when I came out everybody would be there but I never imagined that many people,” Hatley said, “I mean that balcony was all full and it was overwhelming and incredible."

Before this moment, our influences, motivations, decisions shape who we are today.

Growing up in small town Colfax, Washington is where the inspiration started for Hatley.

“Out of high school, I went to Spokane Community College did the criminal justice thing there and then I got hired at the sheriff's department up here,” he said.

Hatley worked four years as a jail deputy with the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office.

When the opportunity came to move up the ranks and make a switch, he joined the Coeur d’Alene Police Department in August 2017.

Officer Taylor Beach, a five-year veteran of the department and an NIC graduate, started with Kootenai County as well before taking the job at the police department.

After the shooting, Beach says she took a month off.

Hatley took a little over two months, spending time with his baby girl and family.

Some may think it’s too quick, but for them, protecting and serving is what keeps them going.

“Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be a cop,” Hatley said.

“Since I was 8 years old, I came from California down there and I went on a tour of the San Jose Police Department,” Beach said, “and ever since then I thought it was the coolest thing ever, I was like 'that's what I want to do’.”

Almost four months have gone by since the shooting, Hattie Avenue is quiet.

Both Hatley and Beach say they’ve processed the memories of that night and use them as a learning tool.

They want their experiences to help new officers.

“From now on I know that I've been through it, we made it through it and how can we further help everybody else that may have to go through it because we have a lot of career left so we're not blind to the fact that it may happen again,” Beach said.

Hatley is in the second phase of officer training while Beach is currently training another new officer.

The key takeaway, both say their training saved their lives that night.

New York State illegally moving convicted sex offenders from prisons into group homes with the developmentally disabled

Thursday, September 20 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-09-20 13:14:31 GMT
    Three State agencies are involved in placing convicted sex offenders in group homes or hiding this information from the families and the general public>>

Cold Case: The Missing Wedding Guest

Monday, September 24 2018 5:19 PM EDT2018-09-24 21:19:07 GMT

STEVENS COUNTY, Wash. - It's been nearly two years since anyone has seen or heard from Paul Brazeau. He was last seen at his son's wedding. His brokenhearted family reached out to KHQ's Hayley Guenthner with a letter asking for his case to be featured in our Q6 Cold Case series. The day Paul vanished started out so wonderful. "It was a happy day," said Paul's aunt Georgine Glatt.

UPDATE: One man detained near Rockford Bay after SWAT situation

Monday, September 24 2018 2:28 PM EDT2018-09-24 18:28:11 GMT

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office says one man was detained following a SWAT situation near Rockford Bay Monday morning. The incident happened near Highway 95 and Bellgrove Road. Deputies say it was a domestic dispute and the 2nd time they had been called the home in the past 24 hours.

Pulitzer Prize-winning author visits Spokane on book tour

Monday, September 24 2018 6:43 PM EDT2018-09-24 22:43:55 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - A Pulitzer Prize-winning author is visiting Spokane as part of the Northwest Passages Book Club. Eli Saslow has written a new book called "Rising Out of Hatred," which details the story of a young man who grew up at the epicenter of white nationalism, but would later disavow everything he was taught to believe.

Cosby prosecutor asks for 5 to 10 years in prison

Monday, September 24 2018 6:35 PM EDT2018-09-24 22:35:42 GMT

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) - Declaring Bill Cosby doesn’t deserve a free pass because of his advanced age, prosecutors on Monday asked a judge to sentence the comedian to five to 10 years in prison for drugging and sexually assaulting a woman, while the defense argued that he is too old and helpless to do time behind bars.

Six Flags St. Louis offers perks for customer coffin time

Monday, September 24 2018 6:27 PM EDT2018-09-24 22:27:58 GMT

EUREKA, Mo. (AP) - Six contestants for a promotion at Six Flags St. Louis will compete for a $300 prize, season tickets and other perks, and all they have to do is spend 30 hours in a coffin. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that participants chosen for the ghoulish contest will bide their time in 2-by-7-foot coffins from 1 p.m. Oct. 13 to 7 p.m. Oct. 14 at the park.