Gun control initiative worries gun store owners - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Gun control initiative worries gun store owners

Posted: Updated:
SPOKANE, Wash. -

The Washington State Supreme Court late Friday afternoon reversed a Thurston County judge's decision, which has cleared the way for a gun-control initiative to appear on the November ballot.

Sharp Shooting gun store owner Robin Ball says this decision is going to have impacts.

"It reduces access for people going out and hunting and wanting to buy something new," said Ball.

Ball says the initiative will limit the sales of long guns across state lines which could end up hurting businesses like hers.

"We work a lot with Idaho residents on long guns, and that will no longer be allowed under this," said Ball. "So it is kind of a business killer for those of us in border communities." 

Thurston County courts initially threw out over 300,000 signatures earlier this month saying the petition didn't follow election law with the too small of font.
The state supreme court stated in Friday's ruling that the Secretary of State couldn't block Initiative 1639 from appearing on the ballot.

The Secretary of State and gun rights activists had complained that the petition to collect signatures didn't clearly show what the initiative would do. The reason was that the font size was too small. But Ball says that isn't the issue

“The real issue is the manner in which they violated the first court case. When they were told they had to change line through the old language, insert the new language so people who were standing at the counter at Wal-Mart or Rosauers had a clear view of what it was they were signing and they did not do that when the signature petitions came out," added Ball.

Initiative 1639 would raise the age for the purchase of a semi-automatic rifle to 21. The initiative will also expand the background checks for purchases of semi-automatic rifles.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Wednesday, December 21 2016 2:36 PM EST2016-12-21 19:36:25 GMT

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>
  • Spokane Police investigating death of man shot during sex

    Spokane Police investigating death of man shot during sex

    Wednesday, November 14 2018 8:45 PM EST2018-11-15 01:45:55 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police are investigating the death of a man who reportedly shot himself in the head during sex. In a search warrant filed Nov. 8 in Spokane Superior Court, a detective wrote that around 2 a.m. on Nov. 4, police were called to a home in the 7800 block of North Morton Ave. after a woman said her partner shot himself in the head. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police are investigating the death of a man who reportedly shot himself in the head during sex. In a search warrant filed Nov. 8 in Spokane Superior Court, a detective wrote that around 2 a.m. on Nov. 4, police were called to a home in the 7800 block of North Morton Ave. after a woman said her partner shot himself in the head. 

    >>
  • Couple, homeless man charged in charitable scam

    Couple, homeless man charged in charitable scam

    Thursday, November 15 2018 2:39 PM EST2018-11-15 19:39:47 GMT

    MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. - Authorities say a New Jersey couple and a homeless man made up a "feel good" story about the man helping them so they could raise money through an online fundraiser. Burlington County prosecutors outlined the allegations against Mark D'Amico, Katelyn McClure and Johnny Bobbitt on Thursday.

    >>

    MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. - Authorities say a New Jersey couple and a homeless man made up a "feel good" story about the man helping them so they could raise money through an online fundraiser. Burlington County prosecutors outlined the allegations against Mark D'Amico, Katelyn McClure and Johnny Bobbitt on Thursday.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/