Iowa man convicted in death of infant found in swing - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Iowa man convicted in death of infant found in swing

Posted: Updated:
MOUNT PLEASANT, Iowa -

An Iowa man has been convicted of first-degree murder in the death of his infant son who was found in a maggot-infested baby swing last year.

The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reports jurors took less than an hour Tuesday to convict 29-year-old Zachary Paul Koehn of first-degree murder and child endangerment causing death. The murder conviction carries a mandatory prison sentence of life without parole.
  
Koehn had blamed his son's mother for the death of 4-month-old Sterling Koehn, who died in August 2017. A trial is pending for 21-year-old mother, Cheyanne Harris.
  
Koehn and Harris were arrested after medics were called to an Alta Vista apartment and found the infant dead in a swing. An autopsy showed he'd died of malnutrition, dehydration and an E. coli infection caused by being left in a maggot-infested diaper for up to two weeks.
  
___
  
Information from: Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, http://www.wcfcourier.com

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Police confirm body of missing Spokane man Ian Powers found in bay; Death ruled accidental

    Police confirm body of missing Spokane man Ian Powers found in bay; Death ruled accidental

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 11:35 AM EST2018-11-20 16:35:21 GMT

    SAN FRANCISCO - The Santa Clara Police Department has confirmed the body of 32-year-old Ian Powers from Spokane was found in the water near Alviso Marina on Saturday. According to the department, the Coroner's Office has determined that the cause of death was salt water drowning. The manner of death has been ruled an accident. 

    >>

    SAN FRANCISCO - The Santa Clara Police Department has confirmed the body of 32-year-old Ian Powers from Spokane was found in the water near Alviso Marina on Saturday. According to the department, the Coroner's Office has determined that the cause of death was salt water drowning. The manner of death has been ruled an accident. 

    >>
  • Citing E. coli outbreak, US officials say don't eat romaine

    Citing E. coli outbreak, US officials say don't eat romaine

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 3:34 PM EST2018-11-20 20:34:25 GMT

    NEW YORK - U.S. health officials are telling people to avoid eating romaine lettuce because of an E. coli outbreak that has sickened 32 people in 11 states. The Food and Drug Administration says it's working with officials in Canada, where people are also being warned to stay away from romaine lettuce.

    >>

    NEW YORK - U.S. health officials are telling people to avoid eating romaine lettuce because of an E. coli outbreak that has sickened 32 people in 11 states. The Food and Drug Administration says it's working with officials in Canada, where people are also being warned to stay away from romaine lettuce.

    >>
  • How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    Monday, November 19 2018 9:46 PM EST2018-11-20 02:46:19 GMT

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Fairchild Airman invents mechanism for KC-135 to keep its landing gear doors from breaking

    Fairchild Airman invents mechanism for KC-135 to keep its landing gear doors from breaking

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 8:11 PM EST2018-11-21 01:11:12 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - If there is anyone who knows their way around a KC-135 Stratotanker, it's Tech. Sgt. Shawn Roberge. Roberge is an Aircraft Structural Maintenance Section Chief; in other words, he fixes things. And since Roberge is constantly working on planes that were built in the 1950's, it's fair to say he stays busy. "The Air Force depends more and more on the 135's before the new tanker comes online," said Roberge. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - If there is anyone who knows their way around a KC-135 Stratotanker, it's Tech. Sgt. Shawn Roberge. Roberge is an Aircraft Structural Maintenance Section Chief; in other words, he fixes things. And since Roberge is constantly working on planes that were built in the 1950's, it's fair to say he stays busy. "The Air Force depends more and more on the 135's before the new tanker comes online," said Roberge. 

    >>
  • Investigators determine Tuesday house fire caused by combustibles kept too close to wood stove

    Investigators determine Tuesday house fire caused by combustibles kept too close to wood stove

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 7:42 PM EST2018-11-21 00:42:26 GMT

    Spokane fire investigators determine Tuesday house fire was caused by keeping combustibles too close to a wood stove. Firefighters responded to the house fire in the 9600 block of N Seminole Drive on Tuesday morning.

    >>

    Spokane fire investigators determine Tuesday house fire was caused by keeping combustibles too close to a wood stove. Firefighters responded to the house fire in the 9600 block of N Seminole Drive on Tuesday morning.

    >>
  • Spokane vehicle prowling suspect apprehended

    Spokane vehicle prowling suspect apprehended

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 7:26 PM EST2018-11-21 00:26:45 GMT

    Vehicle prowling suspect apprehended by police while they investigate other vehicle prowling incidents.  On Monday, officers were investigating reports of vehicle prowling in the area of Wall Street and Riverside Avenue. 

    >>

    Vehicle prowling suspect apprehended by police while they investigate other vehicle prowling incidents.  On Monday, officers were investigating reports of vehicle prowling in the area of Wall Street and Riverside Avenue. 

    >>