Chimney fire caused Altamont house fire - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Chimney fire caused Altamont house fire

Posted: Updated:
SPOKANE, Wash. -

Spokane Fire Department investigators have determined that a chimney fire that spread to an attic caused a house fire on Altamont Tuesday afternoon.

At about 2 p.m., firefighters responded to the 700 block of N. Altamont St. after neighbors noticed the fire and let the two people in the house know. Both people inside the home were able to get out safely.

Firefighters were able to quickly able to extinguish the fire and keep it from spreading. The one-and-a-half story home suffered heavy smoke and fire damage.

With the colder temperatures, the Spokane Fire Department wants to remind residents to follow important safety tips when keeping warm:

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Police confirm body of missing Spokane man Ian Powers found in bay; Death ruled accidental

    Police confirm body of missing Spokane man Ian Powers found in bay; Death ruled accidental

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 11:35 AM EST2018-11-20 16:35:21 GMT

    SAN FRANCISCO - The Santa Clara Police Department has confirmed the body of 32-year-old Ian Powers from Spokane was found in the water near Alviso Marina on Saturday. According to the department, the Coroner's Office has determined that the cause of death was salt water drowning. The manner of death has been ruled an accident. 

    >>

    SAN FRANCISCO - The Santa Clara Police Department has confirmed the body of 32-year-old Ian Powers from Spokane was found in the water near Alviso Marina on Saturday. According to the department, the Coroner's Office has determined that the cause of death was salt water drowning. The manner of death has been ruled an accident. 

    >>
  • Citing E. coli outbreak, US officials say don't eat romaine

    Citing E. coli outbreak, US officials say don't eat romaine

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 3:34 PM EST2018-11-20 20:34:25 GMT

    NEW YORK - U.S. health officials are telling people to avoid eating romaine lettuce because of an E. coli outbreak that has sickened 32 people in 11 states. The Food and Drug Administration says it's working with officials in Canada, where people are also being warned to stay away from romaine lettuce.

    >>

    NEW YORK - U.S. health officials are telling people to avoid eating romaine lettuce because of an E. coli outbreak that has sickened 32 people in 11 states. The Food and Drug Administration says it's working with officials in Canada, where people are also being warned to stay away from romaine lettuce.

    >>
  • How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    Monday, November 19 2018 9:46 PM EST2018-11-20 02:46:19 GMT

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • CdA School District Proposing Levy Increase To Fund Additional Mental Health Counselors, School Security, Teacher Pay

    CdA School District Proposing Levy Increase To Fund Additional Mental Health Counselors, School Security, Teacher Pay

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 8:35 PM EST2018-11-21 01:35:58 GMT

    The Coeur d’Alene School District wants your input on a proposed levy. The levy funds school operations and maintenance and is currently totaled at $16 million, but the district is proposing an additional $4 million to help fund several areas of importance. 

    >>

    The Coeur d’Alene School District wants your input on a proposed levy. The levy funds school operations and maintenance and is currently totaled at $16 million, but the district is proposing an additional $4 million to help fund several areas of importance. 

    >>
  • Fairchild Airman invents mechanism for KC-135 to keep its landing gear doors from breaking

    Fairchild Airman invents mechanism for KC-135 to keep its landing gear doors from breaking

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 8:11 PM EST2018-11-21 01:11:12 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - If there is anyone who knows their way around a KC-135 Stratotanker, it's Tech. Sgt. Shawn Roberge. Roberge is an Aircraft Structural Maintenance Section Chief; in other words, he fixes things. And since Roberge is constantly working on planes that were built in the 1950's, it's fair to say he stays busy. "The Air Force depends more and more on the 135's before the new tanker comes online," said Roberge. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - If there is anyone who knows their way around a KC-135 Stratotanker, it's Tech. Sgt. Shawn Roberge. Roberge is an Aircraft Structural Maintenance Section Chief; in other words, he fixes things. And since Roberge is constantly working on planes that were built in the 1950's, it's fair to say he stays busy. "The Air Force depends more and more on the 135's before the new tanker comes online," said Roberge. 

    >>
  • Investigators determine Tuesday house fire caused by combustibles kept too close to wood stove

    Investigators determine Tuesday house fire caused by combustibles kept too close to wood stove

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 7:42 PM EST2018-11-21 00:42:26 GMT

    Spokane fire investigators determine Tuesday house fire was caused by keeping combustibles too close to a wood stove. Firefighters responded to the house fire in the 9600 block of N Seminole Drive on Tuesday morning.

    >>

    Spokane fire investigators determine Tuesday house fire was caused by keeping combustibles too close to a wood stove. Firefighters responded to the house fire in the 9600 block of N Seminole Drive on Tuesday morning.

    >>