Who do you contact in case of financial crime? - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Scams, Schemes and Fraud

Who do you contact in case of financial crime?

Posted: Updated:

Who do you call if you believe you’ve been a victm of fraud?

  • Your first call should be to the police. The FDIC recommends you get a copy of the police report and report number for future reference.
  • FDIC says you should also should also call your bank, credit card company or other financial institution. Close any and all accounts that have fradulently been opened or accessed. Also call the fraud department at one of the three major credit reporting bureaus.
    Experian: 888-397-3742
    Equifax: 800-525-6285
    TransUnion: 800-680-7289
    The credit bureau you contact will share the information with the other two and a “fraud alert” will be placed in your credit file. This will prevent others from opening a new account in your name. By contacting one of the credit agencies, you will also receive a free credit report so you can check it for any evidence of fraud.
  • The Federal Trade Commission also requests that you contact them if you find out someone is using your identity. The FTC will share complaints of identity theft with other law enforcement agencies.