Nu-Train's Recipe of the Month: Summer Squash Saute
Most recipes can easily be made trans-fat free as long as you're not using hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, or products containing those items. This vegetable saute uses olive oil, a monounsaturated oil that helps to decrease bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. Plus, it's a colorful dish that will be sure to remind you that summer is right around the corner!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 5 small cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium green zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley, basil, thyme, or other herbs to taste (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Remove from pan.
- Add the squash and zucchini to the pan and sauté for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Lower the flame and cover pan. Cook on low for 6 to 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover pan, add the cooked onions and garlic and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. If desired, add fresh herbs.
Calories per serving: approx. 70
*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.