Elderly couple escapes serious injuries in mobile home firePosted: Updated:
Spokane, WA - An elderly couple was hospitalized after a mobile home fire this morning in northeast Spokane. The fire broke out shortly after 7:00 a.m. in the 1200 block of east Lyons. Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said the married couple was sleeping in separate sections of the home when the fire broke out. The man was alerted by a smoke alarm, then raced to the part of the home where his wife was sleeping, and was able to drag her to the front door to safety.
Fire officials were concerned about several oxygen tanks for the elderly inside the mobile home. Some of the tanks exploded in the fire, but fortunately none exploded near the couple or firefighters. Both the man and woman suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation injuries but they are in stable condition. The mobile home is a total loss. There's no word yet on a cause.
For advancing coverage tune into KHQ Local News at 5 and 6.