Month-by-month calendar to plan your wedding.Posted: Updated:
12 MONTHS BEFORE
- Talk to your fiancé and all parents about the big picture - starting with the wedding budget, style and size of the wedding, possible dates, and sites. Whether, you will be hiring a wedding planner, do it now - you'll want to her on board to help with research.
- Decide on the ceremony and reception sites - reserve them both.
- Start shopping for your dress - when ordering your dress remember it will take about 6 to 8 months to come in.
- Choose your attendants - wait at least a couple of weeks after the proposal - it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and you want to make sure the people you are asking are the people you want to stand up with you.
- Mail save-the-date cards - or notify must-have guests such as: close family member and friends by phone; especially if you are planning marrying over a holiday weekend or in a faraway location.
- Send your engagement announcement - to local newspapers where both families live.
10 MONTHS BEFORE
- Start scouting for a caterer, baker, florist, musician or disc jockey, photographer and videographer for both the ceremony and reception
- Visit your clergy-member - some religions require that you undergo premarital counseling.
8 MONTHS BEFORE
- Book your caterer, baker, florist, musician or disc jockey, photographer and videographer
- Choose and order your dress
- Register for your presentsBegin your guest list
6 MONTHS BEFORE
- Start researching the honeymoon
- Plan the details with all the wedding professionals
- Finalize the guest list
- Order all wedding stationary - invitations, response cards, maps, announcements, programs, and thank you notes
- Book a calligrapher
- Shop for the bridesmaids' dresses
- Reserve a block of hotel rooms for out-of-town guests
- Secure rentals
4 MONTHS BEFORE
- Finalize your honeymoon plans and make bookings
- Make an appointment for your first dress fitting
2 MONTHS BEFORE
- Visit your officiant, judge or justice of the peace
- Buy a guest book
- Shop for lingerie and honeymoon clothes
- Have your portrait taken - if you are getting your makeup and hair done professionally this is a great trial run.
- Check to see if the state that you are marrying requires blood tests
- Mail your invitations
- Choose gifts for all attendants
- Arrange to transport your belonging - if either of you are moving.
- Get name - change forms
6 WEEKS BEFORE
- Schedule the final dress fitting
- Pick up rings
- Get programs printed
- Plan your bridesmaids' party
- Write thank you notes as you receive your gifts
- Send your announcement to the newspaper
- Make copies of ceremony readings
- Buy each other a wedding gift
2 WEEKS BEFORE
- Get marriage license
- Submit list of must - take shots
- Arrange the seating plan
- Confirm honeymoon reservations
- Break in your shoes
- Write toast for the rehearsal dinner and reception
1 WEEK BEFORE
- Pack for the honeymoon
- Check about using your ATM card - at your honeymoon site. If traveling abroad, purchase a small amount of the local currency.
- Give the final guest count to your caterer
- Check final details with the wedding vendor
- Keep up with the thank you notes
- Remind all attendants of the rehearsal details
- Through the bridesmaids' party
- Pick up your dress a few days before the wedding - put a sheet on the floor to protect it from dust, and hang it from a tall hook or a door in a room that is off limits to children and pets.
1 DAY BEFORE
- Treat yourself and your mom to a manicure and pedicure
- Place a reminder call to the wedding vendors
- Hold the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner