Fairmount Memorial ParkPosted: Updated:
Fairmount Memorial Park was formed as Fairmount Cemetery on May 29, 1888 (just 6 days after Greenwood - actually, both incorporation documents were filed on June 1).
Fairmount was also the first Catholic cemetery in Spokane. In July 1888, Father Cataldo worked with Fairmount to establish the large Catholic section at Fairmount which they used exclusively until the diocese opened Holy Cross Cemetery.
The key figures in the founding of Fairmount were David T. Ham, E.J. Webster, and John Wilson. Ham was a land speculator and developer from Latah and was responsible for numerous projects in this area. John Wilson was a U.S. Congressman and Senator and E.J. Webster was president of the Ross Park Electric Street Railway.
Early on, Fairmount was dubbed the Pioneer Cemetery. Those resting here include such notables as Levi and May Arkwright Hutton, Senator C.C. Dill, Catherine Sager Pringle, J.J. Browne, Willie Willey, Lincoln's bodyguard member Frank Johnson, D.C. Corbin, Patsy Clark, Ensign Monaghan, and many more.
The property originally was watered from turbines in the river. Fairmount now has its own well and tank system.
To enjoy the history walk click here
For more information: 509-326-3800