"Did you Know" the difference between the variety of senior communities available?Posted: Updated:
Did you know that Retirement Communities and Assisted Living Communities are two different things? I did not know that 5 months ago. I truly thought they were interchangeable names for the same kinds of communities. Boy was I wrong. Independent Living/Retirement Communities, can be condos, homes, townhouses and apartments for seniors who are able to live on their own, but want the convenience of a some services like meals, housekeeping, activities, transportation and security. Assisted Living Communities are designed to help folks who have physical or cognitive impairments that interfere with daily functions such as dressing, walking, and medication reminders. Then there is Skilled Nursing Facilities, Adult Family Homes and Memory Care all of which are different than the first two I mention.
The real "Did you know?" here is; Independent Living Communities can not provide Assisted Living Services and Assisted Living Services can not provide Skilled Nursing and so on. What does this mean? It means that if your needs change, you may have to move.
Not wanting to move and move and move? The answer could be a continuing care community which is a community that offers all Senior Living Options so that you never have to move if your needs change.
Rockwood Retirement Communities is a great example of a Continuing Care Community. They are a not for profit corporation dedicated to providing services and housing to older adults with a commitment to excellence in promoting independence, wellness and lifelong vitality.
They are so committed to that, that they have partnered with KHQ to provide the Senior Life Learning Center. There you can find helpful health and wellness information to help live a long happy healthy life. They are sharing their French Chef with all of you by providing a video segment on how to make zippier healthy meals and have shared their wellness director with you and created a how to stay fit at home and much more.
So I invite you to visit the Rockwood Retirement's Senior Life Learning Center to learn more about continuing care communities, health and wellness and Rockwood too of course!
Happy Holidays to all of you
Suzie E. Dunn
- This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the Spokane Area.>>This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the Spokane Area.>>
- This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the North Idaho Area.>>This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the North Idaho Area.>>
- Independent Living/Retirement Communities, Assisted Living Communities, Skilled Nursing Facilities, and Adult Family Homes. How are they different and how do you know which one is right for you?>>
- An explanation of the difference between each and the resources to find help and support for patients and families dealing with memory loss.>>
- Assisted Living is for adults who need help with everyday tasks but they don't need full-time nursing care. >INSIDE: Find local providers>>
- Trained professionals are here to guide you through the evaluation of physical and emotional well-being and help determine what living or care situation is best for you or your loved one.>>