Crying over spilled beans - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Crying over spilled beans

December 1, 2007

Loose lips sink ships.  It's a good thing that isn't taken so literally anymore, because I would be responsible for every wreck at the bottom of the ocean if it were.   I can't keep a secret.   After discovering that we were actually pregnant, Billy and I had a very brief discussion about whom we'd tell about the pregnancy, and when we'd tell them.  Seconds later, we were at his parents' house (they live here in town).  Billy actually spilled the beans by blurting out, "Well...I got my wife pregnant."   After we got home, we called my folks (who live near Portland, Oregon).  This will be the first Grandchild for my parents, so it was an exciting call to say the least.

The big question was, "when do we tell people at work?"

We've been reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and "Great Expectations" (NOT the one by Charles Dickens - there is a pregnancy guide by the same name), and both books cover the "when to tell' topic.  Granted, it's up to the individual (or couple), but most advise waiting until the 12 week mark, so that you could keep a miscarriage private should it happen.   We're only 5 weeks, and decided to keep it a secret as best we could.  That lasted for about an hour.

Aside from being a super-secret-spiller, I was concerned that my obvious nausea, moodiness and sleepiness would give it all away anyhow.   Which brings me to the topic of "How I'm Feeling."

Aside from all of the physical changes (tired, sickened by my own cooking, etc.), I think the emotional changes are the wildest part of pregnancy so far.  It's important to me to try to keep things positive (I believe in transference of my mood to the baby) as best I can, although sometimes, it just doesn't happen.   Having a good cry can be one of the best things for your body and mind, but I'd warn against doing it alone or angry.  Curling up with your partner, or just calling Mom and crying to her (I heard the words, "I want my Mommy!" come out of my mouth the other night) and then taking a nap can really help clear your head.   Sure, I've burst into tears at work, at the grocery store, and just about everywhere I did NOT want to, but many of my friends who already have kids are assuring me that this doesn't last forever - this mood shall pass!

• Comment on Holly's Mommy Blog

* denotes required fields

We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.
    Thank you for your comment.  We will post your message soon.
  • Success by 6More>>

Washington State school ratings for 2013-2014; How does your school rank?

Thursday, July 23 2015 5:40 PM EDT2015-07-23 21:40:00 GMT
    Thursday, July 23 2015 7:55 PM EDT2015-07-23 23:55:15 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The ratings for the 2013-2014 school year for Washington State high schools, middle schools and elementary schools came out this week from the Washington State Board of Education.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The ratings for the 2013-2014 school year for Washington State high schools, middle schools and elementary schools came out this week from the Washington State Board of Education. The schools were ranked based on their average growth in math and reading of all students and specific subgroups.>>

KHQ honors this year's Teachers of the Month

Thursday, July 2 2015 12:17 PM EDT2015-07-02 16:17:15 GMT
    Thursday, July 2 2015 12:17 PM EDT2015-07-02 16:17:15 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - It's the end of another school year... marking the 27th year KHQ and Eastern Washington University have partnered together to celebrate some of the region's best teachers through the Teacher of the Month program. Congratulations... from KHQ Local News and from Eastern Washington University.>>

What the experts say about reducing the cost of college (sponsored)

Friday, June 5 2015 1:44 PM EDT2015-06-05 17:44:37 GMT
    Friday, June 26 2015 2:34 PM EDT2015-06-26 18:34:46 GMT
    Tuition, fees, housing, books, financial aid, student loans, college savings plans. Yikes! With so many factors to consider, you might need a degree just to master the cost of attending college. For more great tips and a handy monthly budgeting worksheet, learn more from our friends at STCU.>>

Michael Anderson Elementary Wins Book Drive School Challenge

Michael Anderson Elementary on the Fairchild Air Force Base took the Challenge- so did Windsor Elementary in the Cheney School District. Their mission -to collect books for the Success By 6 Book Bank.>>

Got A Pre-schooler? Pick Up a Kindergarten Readiness Calendar

Got a Pre-schooler? Pick up the Kindergarten Readiness Calendar at any local library! Getting ready for Kindergarten starts long before your child sets foot in their Kindergarten classroom! That's>>
    Got a Pre-schooler? Pick up the Kindergarten Readiness Calendar at any local library! Getting ready for Kindergarten starts long before your child sets foot in their Kindergarten classroom! >>

Young Children Learn from Everyday Life

They say kids don't come with an instruction manual, yet parents, especially new parents are bombarded with all kinds of advice from friends and family. There are books and websites offering endless lists, tips and tricks for parenting.  Jill Johnson, Communications Specialist for Family Resources at Community-Minded Enterprises and Success by 6 Board Member says you can teach your children with simple, everyday activities.>>

Want Your Child to Love Learning? Let Them Play!

Want your Preschooler to Love Learning? Let them play! Gwendolyn Haley, Spokane County Library District Youth Services Manager, and Success By 6 Board Member, says playtime is the most important part of a preschooler's day.>>

Your Baby: 2 Months

Our Success By 6 Pediatrician, Dr. Mary Kay Wagner, host of our "Your Baby" series discusses the finer points of living with a 2 month old baby. >>