My advice: Don't take my advice - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

My advice: Don't take my advice

December 3, 2007

"You gotta have friends."

I'm really lucky, in that a number of girlfriends of mine are pregnant at the same time I am!   They're all out of town, but keeping in touch via Myspace, Facebook or just by e-mail is a great way to share experiences and keep positive.  We're all at different stages, but somewhere within 6 weeks of each other.  Some already have kids, whilst a few of us are first-timers.   It's great to share so many perspectives!  If you don't have pregnant friends while you're pregnant, there are "Groups" formed on many of those social networking sites like Myspace or Facebook, where you can connect with people in your area or around the world that are going through exactly what you are!

One important thing to remember about friends though:  don't listen to EVERYBODY's advice or stories.   Every woman who has kids has a horror story of some sort (their own, or shared), and as soon as they find out that you're pregnant, those stories come out.  It can be tough to not let it get you down - I know that with all of the emotions I'm swimming through, hearing a real "downer" of a story can only make me feel worse.  My advice (though I just told you not to take everyone's advice...trust me, this one works...I used it this morning!) is this:  if you don't want to hear someone else's pregnancy story (good or bad), politely excuse yourself to the restroom as soon as you're uncomfortable.   Usually, the story continues or the moment fizzles.   The books I mentioned in earlier blogs ("Great Expectations" and "What to Expect When You're Expecting") also offer advice in how to avoid advice.   Really, I've found that I'm looking at everyone else's awful stories as touchstones that leave me thinking, "wow - I'm not doing too bad!"

I signed up for e-mail updates from the American Pregnancy Association (http://www.americanpregnancy.org/).  I get a weekly e-mail with all sorts of good info about what's going on inside my belly, and it even comes with a paragraph at the bottom that's just for Mom's partner (including advice like "give her footrubs"...I love it!).  I highly recommend signing up!  Some of the questions my friends and books don't answer, these e-mails do!

• Comment on Holly's Mommy Blog

* denotes required fields

We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.
    Thank you for your comment.  We will post your message soon.
  • Success by 6More>>

Washington State school ratings for 2013-2014; How does your school rank?

Thursday, July 23 2015 5:40 PM EDT2015-07-23 21:40:00 GMT
    Thursday, July 23 2015 7:55 PM EDT2015-07-23 23:55:15 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The ratings for the 2013-2014 school year for Washington State high schools, middle schools and elementary schools came out this week from the Washington State Board of Education.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The ratings for the 2013-2014 school year for Washington State high schools, middle schools and elementary schools came out this week from the Washington State Board of Education. The schools were ranked based on their average growth in math and reading of all students and specific subgroups.>>

KHQ honors this year's Teachers of the Month

Thursday, July 2 2015 12:17 PM EDT2015-07-02 16:17:15 GMT
    Thursday, July 2 2015 12:17 PM EDT2015-07-02 16:17:15 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - It's the end of another school year... marking the 27th year KHQ and Eastern Washington University have partnered together to celebrate some of the region's best teachers through the Teacher of the Month program. Congratulations... from KHQ Local News and from Eastern Washington University.>>

What the experts say about reducing the cost of college (sponsored)

Friday, June 5 2015 1:44 PM EDT2015-06-05 17:44:37 GMT
    Friday, June 26 2015 2:34 PM EDT2015-06-26 18:34:46 GMT
    Tuition, fees, housing, books, financial aid, student loans, college savings plans. Yikes! With so many factors to consider, you might need a degree just to master the cost of attending college. For more great tips and a handy monthly budgeting worksheet, learn more from our friends at STCU.>>

Michael Anderson Elementary Wins Book Drive School Challenge

Michael Anderson Elementary on the Fairchild Air Force Base took the Challenge- so did Windsor Elementary in the Cheney School District. Their mission -to collect books for the Success By 6 Book Bank.>>

Got A Pre-schooler? Pick Up a Kindergarten Readiness Calendar

Got a Pre-schooler? Pick up the Kindergarten Readiness Calendar at any local library! Getting ready for Kindergarten starts long before your child sets foot in their Kindergarten classroom! That's>>
    Got a Pre-schooler? Pick up the Kindergarten Readiness Calendar at any local library! Getting ready for Kindergarten starts long before your child sets foot in their Kindergarten classroom! >>

Young Children Learn from Everyday Life

They say kids don't come with an instruction manual, yet parents, especially new parents are bombarded with all kinds of advice from friends and family. There are books and websites offering endless lists, tips and tricks for parenting.  Jill Johnson, Communications Specialist for Family Resources at Community-Minded Enterprises and Success by 6 Board Member says you can teach your children with simple, everyday activities.>>

Want Your Child to Love Learning? Let Them Play!

Want your Preschooler to Love Learning? Let them play! Gwendolyn Haley, Spokane County Library District Youth Services Manager, and Success By 6 Board Member, says playtime is the most important part of a preschooler's day.>>

Your Baby: 2 Months

Our Success By 6 Pediatrician, Dr. Mary Kay Wagner, host of our "Your Baby" series discusses the finer points of living with a 2 month old baby. >>