Have a drink! (The Tiny Salad) - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Have a drink! (The Tiny Salad)

December 10, 2007

I have decided that "it" is a lousy name for the baby I'm growing.  Sure, I don't know if it's a boy or girl yet, but I still don't like "it."  A friend of mine named hers "Cleatus McFetus" (she said she found the name in an issue of "Pregnancy" Magazine).   We decided to call ours "Bun."   When we know the sex, we'll start calling it by the names we've picked out (we knew our top 4 names even before we were married!), but for now, "Bun" it is.

Bun and I went out to dinner with a couple of my girlfriends the other night.  I've noticed over the past weeks of this pregnancy that it's extremely hard to come by good options for beverages when in restaurants.  Since I'm avoiding caffeine and too much sugar, my only options seem to be unsweetened decaf iced tea (when they have it, which is rare), or water, which gets awfully boring.

I'm always leery of "virgin" drinks (the type that at one point or another COULD be made with alcohol - daiquiris, pina colada, margarita, etc.), because you just might take that first sip and BLAM - accidental booze.   People keep telling me that amounts that small won't harm the baby, but I am not taking any chances.

While out to dinner with my girlfriends at Wild Sage (http://www.wildsagebistro.com/), I was THRILLED to see an interesting and new list of virgin drinks (that don't now nor have ever contained alcohol)!  I recommend the Virgin Hibiscus Mojito  (fresh mint & lime juice, cane sugar, hibiscus tea) and Spicy Sage Lemonade (fresh squeezed lemon, jalapeno, fresh sage leaves).  It's so nice to be able to order a drink "like a grown up" again and feel good about it!

My appetite still hasn't come back to its fullest yet.  Red meat has really turned my stomach.  Salad has sounded really good though, and I've been ordering it wherever I go.   Funny thing though; while my appetite for most all food is a little light, my appetite for salad is nearly insatiable.  I went out to lunch the other day and ordered a salad.  This is what I got.

That is quite literally five green leaves, three pear slices and about an eighth-cup of walnuts.   We had a good laugh about that - feeding a pregnant lady a salad that size...

• Comment on Holly's Mommy Blog

* denotes required fields

We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.
    Thank you for your comment.  We will post your message soon.
  • Success by 6More>>

Washington State school ratings for 2013-2014; How does your school rank?

Thursday, July 23 2015 5:40 PM EDT2015-07-23 21:40:00 GMT
    Thursday, July 23 2015 7:55 PM EDT2015-07-23 23:55:15 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The ratings for the 2013-2014 school year for Washington State high schools, middle schools and elementary schools came out this week from the Washington State Board of Education.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The ratings for the 2013-2014 school year for Washington State high schools, middle schools and elementary schools came out this week from the Washington State Board of Education. The schools were ranked based on their average growth in math and reading of all students and specific subgroups.>>

KHQ honors this year's Teachers of the Month

Thursday, July 2 2015 12:17 PM EDT2015-07-02 16:17:15 GMT
    Thursday, July 2 2015 12:17 PM EDT2015-07-02 16:17:15 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - It's the end of another school year... marking the 27th year KHQ and Eastern Washington University have partnered together to celebrate some of the region's best teachers through the Teacher of the Month program. Congratulations... from KHQ Local News and from Eastern Washington University.>>

What the experts say about reducing the cost of college (sponsored)

Friday, June 5 2015 1:44 PM EDT2015-06-05 17:44:37 GMT
    Friday, June 26 2015 2:34 PM EDT2015-06-26 18:34:46 GMT
    Tuition, fees, housing, books, financial aid, student loans, college savings plans. Yikes! With so many factors to consider, you might need a degree just to master the cost of attending college. For more great tips and a handy monthly budgeting worksheet, learn more from our friends at STCU.>>

Michael Anderson Elementary Wins Book Drive School Challenge

Michael Anderson Elementary on the Fairchild Air Force Base took the Challenge- so did Windsor Elementary in the Cheney School District. Their mission -to collect books for the Success By 6 Book Bank.>>

Got A Pre-schooler? Pick Up a Kindergarten Readiness Calendar

Got a Pre-schooler? Pick up the Kindergarten Readiness Calendar at any local library! Getting ready for Kindergarten starts long before your child sets foot in their Kindergarten classroom! That's>>
    Got a Pre-schooler? Pick up the Kindergarten Readiness Calendar at any local library! Getting ready for Kindergarten starts long before your child sets foot in their Kindergarten classroom! >>

Young Children Learn from Everyday Life

They say kids don't come with an instruction manual, yet parents, especially new parents are bombarded with all kinds of advice from friends and family. There are books and websites offering endless lists, tips and tricks for parenting.  Jill Johnson, Communications Specialist for Family Resources at Community-Minded Enterprises and Success by 6 Board Member says you can teach your children with simple, everyday activities.>>

Want Your Child to Love Learning? Let Them Play!

Want your Preschooler to Love Learning? Let them play! Gwendolyn Haley, Spokane County Library District Youth Services Manager, and Success By 6 Board Member, says playtime is the most important part of a preschooler's day.>>

Your Baby: 2 Months

Our Success By 6 Pediatrician, Dr. Mary Kay Wagner, host of our "Your Baby" series discusses the finer points of living with a 2 month old baby. >>