Shop 'till you drop - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Shop 'till you drop

March 1, 2008

Shopping at 4 months pregnant can be a wonderful and terrible experience.

By now, I'm fully in maternity clothes (I think I have ONE pair of jeans that were way too big to begin with that just might still fit, though uncomfortably).  Shopping for maternity clothes isn't bad - once you figure out that the regular department stores have really crummy and small maternity departments and that the specialty maternity stores are usually the best (I can't speak for Nordstrom yet, as I haven't gone there to look for maternity clothes - but the other mall-standards, I have checked).  Motherhood http://www.motherhood.com/ tends to have a nicely-sized selection of styles and sizes, and the staff is ALWAYS friendly and helpful.  I've had great experiences there - in fact, the last few trips I've made out there were during the 60% off sale!  They have these pants with "secret fit belly" technology that is just great - keeps the pants up AND the tummy in place.  My belly has finally rounded out - but before it had, these pants definitely made things look smoother.

My best friend is getting married in May down in Pasadena, and I'm going to need to find a nice dress for the occasion.  Here's my dilemma - do I buy it now, when all of the sizes and styles I like are available and ship-able, but I won't know how big I'll be in May...or...do I wait until closer to the last minute when I know my size, but don't know if I'll get the style or size I want (or if it'll even get here in time!)?  Tough choice.   In the meantime, I've realized that formal, semi-formal or even semi-nice maternity dresses are hard to find in the stores - everything is pretty business or casual.  I did find online a wonderful website that has all sorts of maternity-wear, including formal dresses (a bit spendy, but very nice), semi-formal dresses and couture clothes, too.  It's Bella Blu Maternity http://www.bellablumaternity.com/, and they have a great selection of just beautiful dresses.  Motherhood has some nice and very affordable dresses on their site, but I only found one that I liked.

Speaking of the wedding, I'll be flying to Pasadena at around 7 months along, and just found out that I will need a doctor's note to board my flight.  Turns out, many airlines will require you to have a note from your doctor if you even appear pregnant.  It's really for everyone's protection - you may not be in a condition to fly and it'd be best for you to stay on the ground.  Plus, it protects the airline from having to deliver a baby on board or make an emergency landing (I wondered why you don't often hear about that on the news more often...turns out, that's why).

Now to the terrible part of shopping.

When it comes to buying stuff for the baby - not just fun stuff, but NECESSARY stuff, like Car Seats, Strollers, Bassinets, etc. - things can be tough.  I really want to get the best possible quality and the most useful stuff that most likely won't get recalled down the road.  It seems there are so many baby-stuff recalls so often now - I don't want to find that anything I purchase for Bun could possibly hurt him or her.  It's a scary experience.  I did find a great website that rates products, and you don't have to sign up for anything or pay for it like you do with Consumer Reports' website.  It's http://www.viewpoints.com/.  I looked at www.viewpoints.com/baby and found not only reviews from the people who run the site, but also from average consumers just like me.   They break things down into best/worst lists, and have it all separated into categories.   After surfing that site for nearly an hour, I think I've finally found our stroller and car seat.

I'm still looking into some more car seat information - the Success by 6 main page here on http://www.khq.com/ has some GREAT links to car seat safety info.  Did you know that car seats have an expiration date?  I'm learning something new every day.

NOTE:  Earlier in my blog, I mentioned that pregnant ladies shouldn't sleep on their backs.  I didn't give much info as to "why", though.  Yesterday, when my American Pregnancy Association week-by-week e-mail came, they had a nice little bit about the subject - here it is:

Whenever you lie down, your uterus is putting pressure on the aorta and vena cava, major blood vessels in your body. The pressure on these major blood vessels is called supine hypotension. Supine hypotension can be alleviated by not sleeping on your back and instead sleeping in a side lying position.

ANOTHER NOTE:  Hypotension makes you dizzy - just like standing up too fast, it's a drop in blood pressure.

• Comment on Holly's Mommy Blog

* denotes required fields

We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.
    Thank you for your comment.  We will post your message soon.
  • Success by 6More>>

Washington State school ratings for 2013-2014; How does your school rank?

Thursday, July 23 2015 5:40 PM EDT2015-07-23 21:40:00 GMT
    Thursday, July 23 2015 7:55 PM EDT2015-07-23 23:55:15 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The ratings for the 2013-2014 school year for Washington State high schools, middle schools and elementary schools came out this week from the Washington State Board of Education.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The ratings for the 2013-2014 school year for Washington State high schools, middle schools and elementary schools came out this week from the Washington State Board of Education. The schools were ranked based on their average growth in math and reading of all students and specific subgroups.>>

KHQ honors this year's Teachers of the Month

Thursday, July 2 2015 12:17 PM EDT2015-07-02 16:17:15 GMT
    Thursday, July 2 2015 12:17 PM EDT2015-07-02 16:17:15 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - It's the end of another school year... marking the 27th year KHQ and Eastern Washington University have partnered together to celebrate some of the region's best teachers through the Teacher of the Month program. Congratulations... from KHQ Local News and from Eastern Washington University.>>

What the experts say about reducing the cost of college (sponsored)

Friday, June 5 2015 1:44 PM EDT2015-06-05 17:44:37 GMT
    Friday, June 26 2015 2:34 PM EDT2015-06-26 18:34:46 GMT
    Tuition, fees, housing, books, financial aid, student loans, college savings plans. Yikes! With so many factors to consider, you might need a degree just to master the cost of attending college. For more great tips and a handy monthly budgeting worksheet, learn more from our friends at STCU.>>

Michael Anderson Elementary Wins Book Drive School Challenge

Michael Anderson Elementary on the Fairchild Air Force Base took the Challenge- so did Windsor Elementary in the Cheney School District. Their mission -to collect books for the Success By 6 Book Bank.>>

Got A Pre-schooler? Pick Up a Kindergarten Readiness Calendar

Got a Pre-schooler? Pick up the Kindergarten Readiness Calendar at any local library! Getting ready for Kindergarten starts long before your child sets foot in their Kindergarten classroom! That's>>
    Got a Pre-schooler? Pick up the Kindergarten Readiness Calendar at any local library! Getting ready for Kindergarten starts long before your child sets foot in their Kindergarten classroom! >>

Young Children Learn from Everyday Life

They say kids don't come with an instruction manual, yet parents, especially new parents are bombarded with all kinds of advice from friends and family. There are books and websites offering endless lists, tips and tricks for parenting.  Jill Johnson, Communications Specialist for Family Resources at Community-Minded Enterprises and Success by 6 Board Member says you can teach your children with simple, everyday activities.>>

Want Your Child to Love Learning? Let Them Play!

Want your Preschooler to Love Learning? Let them play! Gwendolyn Haley, Spokane County Library District Youth Services Manager, and Success By 6 Board Member, says playtime is the most important part of a preschooler's day.>>

Your Baby: 2 Months

Our Success By 6 Pediatrician, Dr. Mary Kay Wagner, host of our "Your Baby" series discusses the finer points of living with a 2 month old baby. >>