When you or a loved one should consider a retirement communityPosted: Updated:
(HealthDay News) -- Many seniors are reluctant to give up their independence in favor of a nursing home or assisted living facility.
But sometimes living alone poses a danger to the health and safety of an elderly loved one.
If you're in this position and need to speak with an older person about leaving the home, here are suggestions from AARP:
Have a plan for the conversation, and try to ease into the topic rather than stating the problem bluntly.
If the person becomes upset and is clear about not wanting to discuss the topic, let it go and bring it up another time.
Emphasize that you are concerned for the person's health and safety, and explain how he or she is at risk by living alone.
Ask the person specifically what he or she wants, doesn't want, and about his or her fears.
Treat the person as an adult and with respect -- don't talk down to the person like a child.
-- Diana Kohnle
- This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the Spokane Area.>>This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the Spokane Area.>>
- This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the North Idaho Area.>>This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the North Idaho Area.>>
- Independent Living/Retirement Communities, Assisted Living Communities, Skilled Nursing Facilities, and Adult Family Homes. How are they different and how do you know which one is right for you?>>
- An explanation of the difference between each and the resources to find help and support for patients and families dealing with memory loss.>>
- Assisted Living is for adults who need help with everyday tasks but they don't need full-time nursing care. >INSIDE: Find local providers>>
- Trained professionals are here to guide you through the evaluation of physical and emotional well-being and help determine what living or care situation is best for you or your loved one.>>