August 2008 Senior Life Notes
Welcome to August...
We start this note with a question. How many of you find out about a celebrity's birthday and say "I can't believe they are that old?"
We had that moment a few days ago when we saw that Mick Jagger turned 65 and Keith Richards will be the same age in a few months. Just in case you are wondering, Mick Jagger says the Rolling Stones have no plans of retiring. If you want to find out who shares your birthday we found a fun site. Visit Famous Birthdays.com Just so you are aware, this link isn't part of Senior Life. But if you are celebrating your birthday or family or friend's and want it announced on KHQ Local News Today just click email@example.com
Speaking of passage of time, as many of you are aware, Riverfront Park celebrates 30 years. Now we have learned that Expo 74 President, King Cole will be honored with the installation of "King Cole Way". The celebration will happen on the Eastern most wooden bridge, just north of the INB Performing Arts Center on August 8th. At the time of Expo '74 Spokane was the smallest city to host a World's Fair.
Okay, on to August notes and first an alert from the Aging and Disability Administration. They are sending along a reminder that thousands of seniors have NOT filed for their stimulus checks. The deadline is Oct 15th. If you are among the people who have not filed, then please click here to read more about what you should do.
The rising cost of living has put a crimp in many of our wallets. However, if you still want to get out and enjoy some travel, there are some options. Katie Shaler writes an article each month to help seniors find good deals on travel. This month she offers some tips on air travel -- including the most cost-effective months to travel. Learn more by clicking here.
If you are just enjoying time outside, Rockwood Retirement Communities has some important advice in the Senior Life Learning Center Spotlight Story to help deal with the heat. Often we forget that there are more heat related risks, as we get older. Visit the Rockwood Senior Life Learning Center Spotlight Story to learn more.
In addition to the Senior Life Learning Center Spotlight Center story on heat, Avista has an entire section devoted to helping you keep cool in the summer months. Visit there for suggestions.
It is not very often that you have a chance to visit a site that will provide legal guidance. We are lucky that Dick and Karen Sayre are a part of this site. The Sayres are Spokane's Elder Law Professionals and each month they have new information on a commonly asked question. This month they answer the question "Should I have a revocable living trust"? Learn about that and other issues on the Legal Resources page.
We want to remind you that www.khq.com/seniorlife is set up so that not only can you get the latest news and information affecting seniors but also use the directory for Senior Housing Options, Memorial Planning, Caregiver Resources, and Financial Affairs.
Have you marked your calendar for The Inland Northwest Senior Wellness Conference? It happens at Spokane Community College on Thursday, September 4th. We are excited to have a booth there to say hello to everyone. We also are teaming up with the folks from Coeur d'Alene Tribe/Casino and Eastern Washington Diabetes Network to provide information about preventing and controlling diabetes. In the meantime if you want the latest diabetes information visit www.khq.com/diabetes.
In addition -- be sure to visit all or our Senior Life partners. We are doing a scavenger hunt with some pretty cool prizes. We let you know more about that, as we get closer to the event.
Before we wrap up we want to let you know about the DTV Giveaway. As we get closer to the digital transition, KHQ has teamed up with Huppin's to give away 10 TVs. Just click the above DTV Giveaway for your chance to win.
Have a wonderful August. Visit with you again in September.
Visit KHQ Community Calendar for local Senior Events happening in your community.
- This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the Spokane Area.>>This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the Spokane Area.>>
- This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the North Idaho Area.>>This is a list of addresses and phone numbers for Senior Citizen Community Centers in the North Idaho Area.>>
- Independent Living/Retirement Communities, Assisted Living Communities, Skilled Nursing Facilities, and Adult Family Homes. How are they different and how do you know which one is right for you?>>
- An explanation of the difference between each and the resources to find help and support for patients and families dealing with memory loss.>>
- Assisted Living is for adults who need help with everyday tasks but they don't need full-time nursing care. >INSIDE: Find local providers>>
- Trained professionals are here to guide you through the evaluation of physical and emotional well-being and help determine what living or care situation is best for you or your loved one.>>