New commander of US-led forces in Iraq - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

New commander of US-led forces in Iraq

CAMP VICTORY, Iraq. - General David Patraeus has handed over command of the US-led forces to his successor, General Raymond Odierno.

General Odierno has had two tours of duty in Iraq - from 2003 to 2004 and from December 2006 to March 2008. In the latter, and as deputy to commander David Petraeus, he implemented the so-called "surge" strategy, which he had also proposed. Under that strategy, US troops were poured into Baghdad and Al-Qaeda militants were flushed out.

The US defence secretary Robert Gates attended the hand-over ceremony in Baghdad along with top Iraqi officials. 

 Odierno has consistently been against US troop reduction in Iraq, but some eight thousand US soldiers are due to quit in January 2009. The new commander in Iraq on Tuesday seemed to be keen to adapt, saying that, "the cut [in US forces] will be automatically replaced by Iraqi forces", and that further reductions would depend on consultations with the authorities in Baghdad.

The outgoing commander in Iraq, David Petraeus, is promoted to head the US Central Command, overseeing US miliary operations in the region. 

When Petraeus took over the operation in Iraq in February 2007, the country seemed headed into all-out civil war. The US says the level of violence began falling signficantly after the end of 2007, and has reached a four-year low. Iraq is now in charge of security in eleven of the 18 provinces.

Iraq is negotiating a security agreement with the US to determine troop levels after a United Nations mandate expires at the end of 2008.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Station: Video shows nurses laughing as 89-year-old dies

    Station: Video shows nurses laughing as 89-year-old dies

    Sunday, November 19 2017 1:30 PM EST2017-11-19 18:30:54 GMT

    ATLANTA (AP) - Two nurses lost their licenses after a television station persuaded courts to unseal a video secretly recorded by the family of a man who died in their care.    The video shows the World War II veteran repeatedly calling for help, saying he can't breathe. It also shows the nurses failing to take life-saving measures, and laughing as they try to start an oxygen machine.

    >>

    ATLANTA (AP) - Two nurses lost their licenses after a television station persuaded courts to unseal a video secretly recorded by the family of a man who died in their care.    The video shows the World War II veteran repeatedly calling for help, saying he can't breathe. It also shows the nurses failing to take life-saving measures, and laughing as they try to start an oxygen machine.

    >>
  • Shooting in North Spokane was domestic violence related

    Shooting in North Spokane was domestic violence related

    Sunday, November 19 2017 4:12 PM EST2017-11-19 21:12:10 GMT

    Police say the girlfriend of a man shot Saturday night in north Spokane has been arrested on first degree assault charges. Officers were called to the 1600 block of E. Bismark Saturday night around 7 p.m. Responding officers found a man and woman inside an apartment. The man had been shot in the leg and the woman told police an intruder had come into their apartment and shot the victim in the leg, then took off.

    >>

    Police say the girlfriend of a man shot Saturday night in north Spokane has been arrested on first degree assault charges. Officers were called to the 1600 block of E. Bismark Saturday night around 7 p.m. Responding officers found a man and woman inside an apartment. The man had been shot in the leg and the woman told police an intruder had come into their apartment and shot the victim in the leg, then took off.

    >>
  • Trump says he should have left UCLA players in Chinese jail

    Trump says he should have left UCLA players in Chinese jail

    Sunday, November 19 2017 1:45 PM EST2017-11-19 18:45:20 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump says he should have left three UCLA basketball players accused of shoplifting in China in jail.    Trump's tweet Sunday comes after the father of player LiAngelo Ball minimized Trump's involvement in winning the players' release during an interview Saturday with ESPN. 

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump says he should have left three UCLA basketball players accused of shoplifting in China in jail.    Trump's tweet Sunday comes after the father of player LiAngelo Ball minimized Trump's involvement in winning the players' release during an interview Saturday with ESPN. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/