COEUR D'ALENE, ID - School is back in session in Coeur d'Alene on Monday, with the Coeur d'Alene school district choosing to go forward with in-person learning, with some stipulations.
Students are only at schools in-person two days per week, the other three, they spend at home learning virtually. Other COVID-19 precautions include mandatory mask wearing and social distancing within classrooms.
"They're doing an amazing job keeping us distanced and maintaining cleanliness and stuff," Lake City High School senior Chloe Flechsing told KHQ, "So I think we're doing good."
Another student told us that he doesn't like wearing masks at school, and that it feels different from years prior.
"I just don't like it.... masks... I don't know," Lake City sophomore Adell Arch told us, "It doesn't feel normal like it used to be, like old school last year. It doesn't feel like that."
The return to in-person learning follows a summer where a many school districts, especially in Washington, chose to start the year entirely online, waiting for cases of COVID-19 to go down before returning to schools.
"I think we were all just confused about what we were going to do," Lake City senior Jack Kiesbuy told KHQ," So we were just like... 5 months of summer instead of 3."
Dallas Dixon, a Lake City senior telling KHQ that he estimated close to 100% of students followed the mask and social distancing rules on day one.
"Oh I think it's at least 95 percent, guaranteed 95 percent, maybe 96."
Students with a last name that starts with a letter A-K are in person at Coeur d'Alene school district schools Monday and Tuesday, students with last names L-Z are in person Thursday and Friday.
As featured on
Currently in Spokane
Currently in Spokane
- Kirk Cameron spotted in Coeur d'Alene
- Friday snowfall shatters Spokane's 1957 record
- 50-year-old man dies after responding to his son's calls for help
- UPDATE: Spokane Postal Service employee no longer with the company after being federally charged with stealing mail
- UPDATE: Website that says 3,000 ballots were rejected in Spokane County labeled as misinformation
- Deadly crash involving a car and a semi under investigation in Coeur d'Alene
- Man forces his way into a home, homeowner fights back with a knife
- Power surge blasts through neighborhood in Spokane
- BREAKING: Coeur d'Alene City Council votes 'Yes' on a citywide mask mandate
- Panhandle health board votes to rescind mask mandate
Sign Up For Newsletters
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
KHQ Breaking News Alerts
Receive breaking news emails from KHQ Local News
KHQ Daily Weather
Daily weather forecasts from the KHQ Weather Authority
KHQ Daily e-Newsletter
Get the latest news, weather, sports and information from the region's top local news source.