Fire crews respond to house fire near Altamont and Springfield

Spokane Fire Department investigators have determined that a chimney fire that spread to an attic caused a house fire on Altamont Tuesday afternoon.

At about 2 p.m., firefighters responded to the 700 block of N. Altamont St. after neighbors noticed the fire and let the two people in the house know. Both people inside the home were able to get out safely.

Firefighters were able to quickly able to extinguish the fire and keep it from spreading. The one-and-a-half story home suffered heavy smoke and fire damage.

With the colder temperatures, the Spokane Fire Department wants to remind residents to follow important safety tips when keeping warm:

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Test smoke alarms at least once a month.

Recommended for you