The patients had all been staying at Travis Air Force Base in California since being flown to the U.S. over the weekend. Pauley said test results for the cruise ship passengers have continued to trickle in from Japan even after their return to the U.S.
None of the 16 newly hospitalized former passengers had confirmed CDC tests, so the federal agency was not saying they were positive for coronavirus.
Four of the ex-passengers were being brought to a hospital in Spokane, Washington, officials said. Pauley declined to say where the others were taken.
Two patients arrived at the Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane on Thursday in satisfactory condition and two more arrived that afternoon, said Christa Arguinchona, who manages the hospital’s special isolation unit. The hospital is one of 10 in the nation funded by Congress to treat new or highly infectious diseases.
“The risk to the community from this particular process is zero,” Bob Lutz of the Spokane Regional Health District said at a hospital briefing Thursday.
When it docked in Japan, the Diamond Princess was put under quarantine. But more than 600 passengers and crew have been infected with the coronavirus that has caused a large outbreak in China. The virus causes a flu-like illness and can lead to pneumonia.
More than 300 Americans on the ship were flown home on U.S.-chartered airplanes over the weekend and were placed in quarantine.
At the time of the evacuation, officials said 14 had tested positive for the virus in Japan and were separated from other passengers on the flight back to the U.S. Thirteen of them were brought to a hospital in Omaha, Nebraska.
On Thursday, University of Nebraska Medical Center saidthe CDC had confirmed that 11 of the 13 had tested positive for the virus. The hospital said only a few of the patients were showing symptoms of the disease.
Previously, hundreds of Americans were evacuated from the central China city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, and most have completed two weeks in quarantine in the U.S.
In California, more than 115 people ended their quarantines this week at a pair of military bases. One person at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar near San Diego tested positive for coronavirus and remains at a local hospital. Another in close contact with that person remains under quarantine.
Also, 57 Americans who were held at a Nebraska National Guard camp left Thursday, with all in good health. They’ve not been asked to wear masks or take any other health measures, said Joe Smith, a spokesman for the CDC.
“There is no need. These are healthy people,” he said.
Fifteen cases of the virus have been diagnosed in the U.S., mostly travelers who became ill after returning from earlier trips to China. The first reported case of the virus in the U.S. was a Washington state resident.
Other Americans have since been diagnosed while in Asia.
As featured on
Currently in Spokane
- North Spokane Walmart employee speaks out after testing positive for COVID-19
- Safeway & Albertons to limit store capacity, provide masks for all employees, implement one-way aisles
- Spokane Regional Health District confirms two employees of North Spokane Walmart have tested positive for coronavirus
- Pullman Regional Hospital temporarily reducing employee pay to help rebound from COVID-19 related operational challenges
- Gov. Inslee cancels on-site school for rest of 2019-2020 school year
- A look at which stores have new policies to limit the number of shoppers allowed inside
- Three additional deaths related to COVID-19 announced in Spokane County along with 15 new positive cases
- "She knew something wasn't right": Makayla Young's close friend speaks out about her murder
- WSU scientists researching possible reemergence of Asian giant hornet in Washington state
- How to make a homemade mask with just rubber bands and a bandana
Sign Up For Newsletters
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
KHQ Breaking News Alerts
Receive breaking news emails from KHQ Local News
KHQ Daily Weather
Daily weather forecasts from the KHQ Weather Authority
KHQ Daily e-Newsletter
Get the latest news, weather, sports and information from the region's top local news source.