SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Police have released more information on a shooting in Spokane Valley that left one suspect dead and an officer injured.
According to the Spokane Police Department (SPD), it started when officers began investigating a reported robbery/carjacking that occurred in Airway Heights on Thursday, Sept. 10.
A witness had reportedly described a suspect who displayed a .45 caliber pistol. A short pursuit ensued but was called off due to the suspect's dangerous driving behavior.
Another chase began when Spokane Police spotted the vehicle in the city but the pursuit was called off once more due to public safety concerns.
On Friday, just after 10:25 a.m., police were able to relocate the suspect vehicle. However, when they attempted to stop it, the driver fled at a high rate of speed.
Officers eventually found the vehicle in the parking lot of the Spokane Valley Rodeway Inn. As they moved in, the suspect exited the vehicle and exchanged gunfire with an officer.
Both the officer and the suspect were shot. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene after life-saving measures were attempted. The officer was shot in the leg and taken to the hospital where he is in stable condition.
Several witnesses were detained, questioned and were cooperating with the investigation.
The identities of the officer and the suspect will be released at a later time.
At least one officer on scene was equipped with a body-worn video camera. Any footage captured by the body camera, as well as any footage captured by cameras in the area, will be reviewed by investigators.
Protocol for an officer-involved shooting was enacted and the SIIR Team is on scene investigating the incident.
As featured on
Currently in Spokane
- FOUND: Spokane Police find missing 2-year-old safe
- Halloween: What Washington and Idaho governors are saying about trick-or-treating
- Spokane Police Department not able to criminally enforce injunction against Church at Planned Parenthood
- Moscow-Pullman Daily News: 5 cited for not wearing masks at psalm sing, 3 arrested for resisting
- Local grandmother feels tricked after trying to order some Halloween treats from Amazon
- Disappearance of Newport teen is 'suspicious' via officers
- Spokane Regional Health District announces support for in-person learning for K-2 students
- Crash blocking all northbound lanes of US 395 near North Spokane Fred Meyer
- "How are we able to do this when the general public is forbidden?" Private haircut arrangement suggests double standard for Kootenai Co. Deputies during COVID-19 lockdown
- KHQ INVESTIGATES: Graphic texts lead to investigation of North Spokane spa
Sign Up For Newsletters
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
KHQ Breaking News Alerts
Receive breaking news emails from KHQ Local News
KHQ Daily Weather
Daily weather forecasts from the KHQ Weather Authority
KHQ Daily e-Newsletter
Get the latest news, weather, sports and information from the region's top local news source.