Infant saved, stolen car found after doll mistaken for baby

A small electrical fire in a mechanical room at the Juvenile Detention Center early Sunday morning briefly relocated those housed there to the Spokane County Jail. No one was injured, but fire crews spent two hours ventilating smoke from the building.

According to the Spokane Fire Department, a total of 34 firefighters responded to the facility at around 2 a.m. Jail staff reported heavy smoke on the first and second floor of the building.

Firefighters located a small electrical fire in a mechanical room on the west end of the second floor of the buildings. Some of those in the Detention Center were moved by staff to a safe place in the building.

Officials report fire damage was confined to the electrical circuits that control the building's HVAC systems. The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical malfunction.

Recommended for you