Trump responds to verdict in California shooting death of Kate Steinle

WASHINGTON (AP) - A San Francisco jury has found Mexican citizen, Jose Zarate not guilty of murder in the death of 33-year-old Kathryn Steinle.

In July of 2015, 33-year-old Kate Steinle was fatally shot while walking with her father on a San Francisco pier. The case started a national debate on immigration. Zarate, a Mexican citizen, had already been deported 5 times and was wanted for a 6th deportation at the time the shooting occurred.
The prosecution said the suspect found the gun and deliberately fired it at Steinle. The defense insisted it was not deliberate.

President Donald Trump is renewing his harsh criticism of the jury's verdict.

In a pre-dawn tweet Friday, Trump took out after defendant Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, saying that he "came back and back over the weakly protected Obama border, always committing crimes and being violent."

Trump's Twitter post said that "yet this info was not used in court. His exoneration is a complete travesty of justice. BUILD THE WALL!"

 

Garcia Zarate had said that the slaying of Kate Steinle was an accident. Under a sanctuary city law, the San Francisco sheriff's department had released Garcia Zarate from jail despite a federal immigration request to detain him for deportation.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Recommended for you