UPDATE: Missing Montana plane wreckage found

UPDATE: 5:00 p.m. Tuesday: The Skagit County Sheriff's Office says the wreckage from the Beech aircraft was still smoldering and flaring up when they arrived.The United States Forest Service firefighters came to deal with a small brush fire that the plane crash caused.They also said they will not be releasing the names of the people who were found in the plane until their families are notified.

UPDATE: 4:25 p.m. Tuesday: The Skagit County Sheriff's Office confirms search and rescue crews located missing Montana plane wreckage. Two bodies have been recovered from wreckage which is in the Rainey Pass area near Highway 20.

UPDATE: 11:57 p.m. Tuesday: Search crews looking for a missing Montana plane located wreckage Tuesday evening in the general area of where a crash survivor emerged from the woods Monday near Mazama.  Crews have not been able to reach the crash site Tuesday and at this time no identification has been made of either the plane or the two remaining occupants.

UPDATE: 6:25 p.m. Tuesday: KHQ has confirmed that plane crash survivor Autumn Veatch has left the Three Rivers Hospital in Brewster, less than an hour after her friends and her doctor held a press conference outside the building.

UPDATE: 5:42 p.m. Tuesday: In a press conference outside Three Rivers Hospital on Tuesday evening, friends of plane crash survivor Autumn Veatch said the 16-year-old girl would leave the hospital Tuesday night. They say it's a miracle she survived.

Her doctor told the assembled media that Autumn is very tired doing tremendously well. He says re-hydration is the main goal for Autumn right now. 

UPDATE: 1:00 p.m. Tuesday: Family of plane crash survivor Autumn Veatch arrived at the hospital in Brewster Tuesday morning. Her condition has not changed, but her father said the first thing she wanted was some food from McDonalds. 

The 911 call Veatch made on Monday was also released. In it, Veatch tells the dispatcher she was the only was that survived, but she does not know where the plane went down. Veatch also said she had burns on her hands and bruises and scratches on her body. 

Crews are still out searching for the crash site on Tuesday. 

UPDATE 8:50 p.m. Monday: Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rodgers reports that Autumn Veatch told him that the plane she was flying in with her step-grandparents crashed into a mountain in bad weather. She also told Sheriff Rodgers that her step-grandparents did not survive.

Doctors say Autumn is suffering from rhabdomialaysis, or a muscle breakdown due to lack of water and food and having to walk a significant distance. She will continue to be monitored by doctors at the Three Rivers Hospital in Brewster overnight.

Crews will resume their search for the crash site on Tuesday morning.

UPDATE 7:29 p.m. Monday: KHQ's Patrick Erickson reports plane crash survivor Autumn Veatch has non-life-threatening injuries and is being treated at Three Rivers Hospital in Brewster for dehydration.

Veatch's father is on his way to the hospital from Bellingham, Wash.

UPDATE 6:00 p.m. Monday: First Lt. Jessica Jerwa with WSDOT says based on information given to them by Autumn Veatch after she survived a plane crash on Okanogan County, search teams were able to narrow their search area for the still-missing aircraft. WSDOT has recalled Civil Air Patrol assets and deploying military assets more appropriate to the search area. 

UPDATE 5:25 p.m. Monday:  Lt. Col. Jeffrey Lustick of the Civil Air Patrol says there are two planes flying at different altitudes in search of the missing plane.

''We're using longitude and latitude to describe where this area is and we also have some other areas that we think might be kind of coordinating with what the 16 year old survivor went through and how she proceeded from the crash scene out to where she was discovered by this motorist.  We're trying to go back and get the puzzles pieces put together to lead us to that crash scene.'

UPDATE: 5:05 p.m. Monday:  Lt. Col.Jeffrey Lustick of the Civil Air Patrol tells KHQ that weather may have played a role in the plane's disappearance. 'The flight encountered some weather, they lost visual contact with the terrain and with the ground, they could not see, and at some point they collided with the terrain.  After the collision, there was a fire and Autumn was able to escape the aircraft.' 

He says Autumn was at the crash site for about 24 hours before she decided to walk away.  She followed a creek bed and crossed over a bridge before making her way to Highway 20 where she was spotted by a driver between Skagit and Okanogan County.   

Lt. Col. Lustick says he spoke with Autumn's father and he says his daughter was in good condition after the crash.  She had some bruises, cuts, and burns.  

UPDATE: 4:00 p.m. Monday: Authorities say a driver picked up a teenage girl who survived a small plane crash in a mountainous area in Washington state.


Crews had been searching for the plane with three aboard after it failed to reach its destination. Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said Monday afternoon the girl managed to walk to a trailhead, where she was picked up by a motorist and brought to a store in Mazama, Washington.


Rogers said the girl had been "walking for a couple of days." He said she was being taken to a local hospital and she seemed to be in stable condition. Rogers wouldn't comment on the status of the other two people aboard the plane.


Officials had identified those aboard as Leland and Sharon Bowman of Marion, Montana, and their 16-year-old step-granddaughter, Autumn Veatch of Bellingham, Washington.


The Beech A-35 left Kalispell, Montana, about 1 p.m. PDT Saturday, headed for Lynden, Washington. Family members notified authorities when the plane did not arrive.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

UPDATE: An employee of a Mazama store in Okanogan tells KHQ a 16-year-old girl has walked into their establishment, saying she has survived a plane crash. The plane is believed to be the overdue private plane that was headed to Lynden. Authorities with Washington DOT tell us the identity of the girl has not yet been confirmed and they are currently working on confirming her identity. The teen is currently in a hospital in Brewster, Wash. We have a reporter headed there now and will update this story with more info as it is received.

Previous coverage:

The Washington State Department of Transportation says crews are searching for a small, private plane that didn't reach its destination in Lynden, Washington, on Saturday.


The plane, carrying three people including the pilot, left western Montana about 4 p.m. Saturday and was due in Lynden around 7 p.m. The people onboard have been identified by family as Leland Bowman, 63, Sharon Bowman, 63, of Marion, Montana, and their 16-year-old step-granddaughter, Autumn Veatch, of Bellingham, Washington.


The plane did not arrive and family members notified authorities. All three occupants are family members. Their names have not been released.


The last phone signal from one of the plane's occupants was detected around 11 p.m. in an area near Omak, Washington. State officials say the search is centered south of Mount Maker.


The plane is described as a white and red Beech 35 aircraft.


Volunteers from the Civil Air Patrol and Washington Air Search and Rescue are assisting WSDOT Aviation Emergency Services with the search.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Recommended for you