UPDATE: Sheriff's Office identifies intruder shot and killed during home invasion near Post Falls

The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office identified the intruder who was shot by a resident of the home he broke into as 24-year-old Mitchell C. Payette of Post Falls. 

The residents who were woken up by Payette in their home were identified as 21-year-old Trent Slinger and 25-year-old Shelby Arlt, both of Post Falls. 

The incident is still under investigation, but the preliminary investigation shows Slinger and Arlt were woken up by loud crashing noises in their home. Slinger went to investigate and found Payette inside his house, damaging property. Detectives say Slinger verbally told Payette to leave, but Payette refused. Detectives say Payette was armed and began "aggressing" both Slinger and Arlt. Slinger fired several rounds from his handgun and hit Payette, who died at the scene. 

An autopsy was completed on Monday, but the final results, which will include the official cause of death and toxicology reports, will not be available for approximately 6-8 weeks. 


The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office is investigating an early morning home invasion where the homeowner shot and killed the intruder. 

Deputies were called to a home near Post Falls early Monday morning at about 1:30 am following the shooting. The Sheriff's Office says the intruder broke into the home and was shot and killed by the homeowner. 

The 24-year-old intruder has not yet been identified.

"Preliminary, the investigation indicates a male and female were sleeping inside the residence and were awaken by loud crashing noises coming from inside their home," the Sheriff's Office said. "The male resident discovered an intruder had forced his way into the home through a door and was continuing to damage property inside. The resident confronted the intruder verbally telling him to leave. After being told several times to leave, the intruder, who also appears to have been armed during the incident, began aggressing both residents. The male resident fired several rounds from a handgun, which ultimately stopped the intruder’s attack."

The incident is still under investigation.

Recommended for you