With several Shred Days coming up, it's a good time ask this question: what should you keep, and what should you shred?
Here's some helpful advice from Washington Trust Bank.
WHAT TO BRING TO SHRED DAY
Bring up to three, legal- sized file boxes containing:
- Tax documents that are at least three years old
- Bank statements that are older than one year
- Preapproval oﬀers for credit cards
- Junk mail
- Canceled or voided checks
- Anything else containing personal information like your bank account number or social security number
Here's a good reminder on how long you should keep important documents:
- Seven years: Keep state and federal tax records and receipts for seven years, saving a copy of your 1040 tax return forever.
- Six years: Keep documents showing home sale, purchase, or expenses for improvements for six years after you sell your home.
- Three years: Retain those thank-you letters from charities, and also year-end investment statements, in the event you are audited by the IRS.
- One year or less: Pay stubs and bank statements; annually updated Social Security statements; annual insurance policy statements; annual retirement plan statements (401(k), 529, IRA, etc.); bank deposit and ATM receipts until reconciled with your monthly statements; credit card bills and statements (longer if needed as proof of a charitable contribution or product warranty); and utility bills.
Shred Day is one of our most popular events and certainly one of the most frequently asked questions we get: "When is Shred Day?" So we've partnered up with Washington Trust Bank and DeVries Business Services to offer you EIGHT shred days during the month of October.
SHRED DAY DATES, TIMES & LOCATIONS
October 1st: Post Falls Branch located at 1601 Seltice Way from 6am - 10am
October 4th: Indiana Branch located at 27 E. Indiana Ave. from 6am - 10am
October 8th: Sandpoint Branch located at 509 N. Fifth Ave. Suite E from 6am - 10am
October 16th: Northgate Branch located at 7815 N. Division St. from 6am - 10am
October 18th: DeVries Business Services - 601 E Pacific Ave. from 6a - 10am
October 22nd: Valley Financial Center located at 310 N. Argonne Rd. from 6am - 10am
October 25th: Lincoln Heights located at 2415 E. 29th Ave. from 6am - 10am
October 31st: Sullivan Branch located at 407 N. Sullivan Rd. from 6am - 10am