Shred Day is one of our most popular events and certainly one of the most frequently asked questions we get: "When is Shred Day?" So we've partnered up with Washington Trust Bank and DeVries Business Services to offer you eight shred days during the month of April. As with everything these days, because of the coronavirus, Shred Day is going to look a little different. You will need to show up at one of the locations below on their designated date from 6a - 9a and pick up a bag. Take that bag home and put all of your shred items inside and then take it to DeVries Business Services located at 601 E Pacific Ave in Spokane for them to shred your documents. Drop hours are Monday - Friday from 8am to 3:30pm. That's it!
With several Shred Days coming up, it's a good time ask this question: what should you keep, and what should you shred?
Here's some helpful advice from Washington Trust Bank.
WHAT TO FILL YOUR SHRED DAY BAG WITH:
- Tax documents that are at least three years old
- Bank statements that are older than one year
- Preapproval oﬀers for credit cards
- Junk mail
- Canceled or voided checks
- Anything else containing personal information like your bank account number or social security number
Here's a good reminder on how long you should keep important documents:
- Seven years: Keep state and federal tax records and receipts for seven years, saving a copy of your 1040 tax return forever.
- Six years: Keep documents showing home sale, purchase, or expenses for improvements for six years after you sell your home.
- Three years: Retain those thank-you letters from charities, and also year-end investment statements, in the event you are audited by the IRS.
- One year or less: Pay stubs and bank statements; annually updated Social Security statements; annual insurance policy statements; annual retirement plan statements (401(k), 529, IRA, etc.); bank deposit and ATM receipts until reconciled with your monthly statements; credit card bills and statements (longer if needed as proof of a charitable contribution or product warranty); and utility bills.
SHRED DAY DATES, TIMES & WASHINGTON TRUST BANK PICK UP LOCATIONS:
April 6th: Washington Trust Bank Post Falls Branch located at 1601 E Seltice Way from 6am - 9am. While supplies last - one shred bag per person.
April 9th: Washington Trust Bank Deer Park Branch located at 903 S Main Ave from 6a - 9a. While supplies last - one shred bag per person.
April 13th: Washington Trust Bank Northgate Branch located at 7815 N Division St from 6am - 9am. While supplies last - one shred bag per person.
April 16th: Washington Trust Bank Second & Wall Branch located at 706 W Second Ave from 6am - 9am. While supplies last - one shred bag per person.
April 20th: Washington Trust Bank Valley Financial Center located at 310 N Argonne Rd from 6am - 9am. While supplies last - one shred bag per person.
April 23rd: Washington Trust Bank Indiana Branch located at 27 E Indiana Ave from 6am - 9am. While supplies last - one shred bag per person.
April 27th: Washington Trust Bank Hayden Branch located at 8050 N Government Way from 6am - 9am. While supplies last - one shred bag per person.
April 30th: Washington Trust Bank Lincoln Heights Branch located at 2415 E 29th Ave from 6am - 9am. While supplies last - one shred bag per person.