DELAND, Fla. (AP) — The Florida Highway Patrol says lightning struck a motorcyclist on the helmet as he drove on an interstate in Florida, causing a crash and his death.
The agency said in a news release that 45-year-old Benjamin Austin Lee of Charlotte, North Carolina, died Sunday afternoon on Interstate 95 near Daytona Beach. Lightning burned his helmet.
He was pronounced dead at the scene. Florida troopers say an off-duty Virginia state trooper witnessed the lightning strike and its aftermath.
An investigation continues.
Currently in Spokane
- PICTURES: Officials call it the "thunderstorm of a decade," here are pictures KHQ viewers have taken
- Armed Idahoans say CdA protest presence was "to ensure what happened in Spokane, didn't happen here"
- KHQ EXCLUSIVE: "It was just the right thing to do": Spokane man stops looters at Nike store break-in
- Gov. Inslee activates National Guard in response to protests in Seattle
- 30 more COVID-19 cases confirmed, Spokane Co. Health Officer says phase 3 entry "very unlikely" in two weeks
- Prepare for severe thunderstorms tonight
- Curfew enacted for downtown Spokane until 5am, Sheriff requests assistance from the National Guard
- FOUND: Wapato Police find 3-year-old and her father who is suspected of taking her
- EXCLUSIVE: Video seen by hundreds of thousands of KHQ viewers helps ID man with Molotov cocktail at Sunday riots
- National Weather Service issues watches and warnings for Inland Northwest
Sign Up For Newsletters
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
KHQ Breaking News Alerts
Receive breaking news emails from KHQ Local News
KHQ Daily Weather
Daily weather forecasts from the KHQ Weather Authority
KHQ Daily e-Newsletter
Get the latest news, weather, sports and information from the region's top local news source.